+ Reply to Thread

Thread: really boring techie stuff cables etc?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Paul.

Yeah, I wouldn’t bother with bi-wiring either. You can buy decent speaker cable from Amazon, nothing special, but not terrible either. At around £8 to £15 it will be fine to get your system up and running and you can then look into other cable later on.

As for the TT cable, it depends how DIY capable you are. You could buy a half decent set of cables, take the phono plugs off at one end and then use the lead to rewire your TT. This will require you opening up the TT and performing a bit of surgery. Or you could snip off the din connector and solder on some phono plugs, or just go for an adapter for now.
    ~Paul~

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    As for the TT cable, it depends how DIY capable you are. You could buy a half decent set of cables, take the phono plugs off at one end and then use the lead to rewire your TT. This will require you opening up the TT and performing a bit of surgery. Or you could snip off the din connector and solder on some phono plugs, or just go for an adapter for now.
    Yeah. Good info.

Avoid going for screw fit phono plugs, they are bad news. If you haven't soldered, try it. It's not hard or expensive to get set up and everybody here can advise.

I'm Marc.

Thanks guys for all your sugestions

Iv had a busy day today.....
    Picked up the speakers £60 they look awesome they are big,! Came with 2x4 meters of 10 gauge bog standard cable so screwed on some banana plugs from Maplins, these will do for awhile until I get something better The speaker bridge plates on the posts were missing so made up some jumpers with some short pieces of the cable.
    While I was there also got some phono plugs for the TT salderd them on not the neatest saldering but eventually I want to replace the whole cable anyway.
    Anyway connected it all up & fired it up"

Wow am I a happy bunny"......all working fine & loud 😀 sounds amaizing.
    I played an old David Bowie record Hunky Dory which has been in the loft for 20 years sounds as good today as when I bought it.
    So I’m really pleased.
    Thanks again for all your advice.

I'm Geoff.

Good result.

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Good result.
    Yes my system
    Duel 510 turntable
    Dennon DCD 1000
    Nad 3130 amp
    Mordeant Short Aviano 6 speakers

Total cost about £ 90 including a few plugs phono cables etc.

Of course I purchased the amp CD player years ago but that doesn’t count

+ Reply to Thread