+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Luxman L-505uxII now at Radlett Audio

I'm Dave.

Yours for only 3800.

I'm Geoff.

I don't dispute the quality or performance, but for what percentage of the UK population would this be considered "affordable"? Get real folks!

Geoff

I'm Simon.

I dunno - I ponied up for a Sugden A21se a couple of years back. I had the intention of having an integrated amp that sounded superb, that had outstanding after sales care which would outlast me and be something of an inheritance piece for my daughter. I have by no means deep pockets but I thought I'd save up for something which I'd get a lot of pleasure and plenty of use out of.

I love listening to music - others might think nothing of spending many times the amount of an amp on a car. Now that's something I can't get my head around

I'd have loved to compare the Luxman to my Sugden. Seeing that it's got an integral phono stage, the cost of my Sugden and the Trichord Dino Mk3 and the Never Connected Power Supply that I use brings the price difference down somewhat. Not that I'm itching for a change - The A21SE does everything for me that I need - and I love its sleek looks even though it has no meters
    Simon.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I don't dispute the quality or performance, but for what percentage of the UK population would this be considered "affordable"? Get real folks!

Geoff
    Costs less than a car, or a wedding.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Custom Silent Media Server >> Halide Bridge USB (with AQVOX USB power) >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Dave.

In a world where you can spend 250K on a pair of mono blocks or the same on a pair of speakers, the Luxman amps are pretty good value. I concede that the majority of my customers don't want to spend more than 1K on an amp but the Luxman amps are selling steadily.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    In a world where you can spend 250K on a pair of mono blocks or the same on a pair of speakers, the Luxman amps are pretty good value. I concede that the majority of my customers don't want to spend more than 1K on an amp but the Luxman amps are selling steadily.
    I don't dispute that these are extremely well made products and competitively priced against other top end audio. However, "affordable" implies inexpensive or within the means of the average person (e.g. affordable housing). I would estimate that maybe one in twenty wage earners would currently take home 3,800 per month after tax, and that after essential expenses, that this figure would represent several months disposable income. For the other 95% of earners such an investment is incomprehensible. Products such as this amp are affordable only in a relative sense (i.e. in relation to more expensive Luxman amps). I have a distant recollection of some advertising slogan that used the phrase "attainable luxury". Good luck to those who can afford them, though for most households such a product is hardly attainable and definitely not affordable.

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Costs less than a car, or a wedding.
    Yes, less than the cost of a new car but the comparison is misleading. If you were purchasing the Luxman it would most likely be as part of a 10k plus system. Plenty of small new cars available for that outlay.

Don't know about the cost of a wedding but from all the ads on tv for over 50s insurance, the Luxman seems to cost about the same as the typical funeral. I can imagine that if some members of this forum came home with a brand new Luxman, they might need to prepare for an imminent funeral!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12