+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 401 pitch instability issue

I'm Adam.

Default 401 pitch instability issue

Garrard 401 pitch instability issue... Cry for advice!!
    Can anyone shed some light on why the strobe should
    Stray left and then right and will not stay still?

Making good piano ballads sound a bit Les Dawson ish
    Thoughts?!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Paul.

The strobe indicators on my 401 are not perfectly spaced, so there is some minor shifting back and forth. Also speed stability only really becomes rock solid after about 45, when everything has warmed up.

If you are having a major speed stability issue it could be a few things. Has the rubber idler wheel perished? Also the motor pulley can become polished over time which stops the idler wheel have the correct traction. Wiping the inside of the platter with some IPA can help too.

Also you can have bearing issues, I tend to oil mine every few months and every few years strip it down and clean it. Also I check all the springs as some of these tension the idler wheel against the pulley and he platter.
    ~Paul~

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    The strobe indicators on my 401 are not perfectly spaced, so there is some minor shifting back and forth. Also speed stability only really becomes rock solid after about 45, when everything has warmed up.

If you are having a major speed stability issue it could be a few things. Has the rubber idler wheel perished? Also the motor pulley can become polished over time which stops the idler wheel have the correct traction. Wiping the inside of the platter with some IPA can help too.

Also you can have bearing issues, I tend to oil mine every few months and every few years strip it down and clean it. Also I check all the springs as some of these tension the idler wheel against the pulley and he platter.
    Thanks Paul appreciate the advice

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Adam.

Also, make sure the eddy current brake disc isn't warped or damaged. It must be perfectly flat to do its job properly.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Also, make sure the eddy current brake disc isn't warped or damaged. It must be perfectly flat to do its job properly.
    will do. cheers

I'm Matt.

Is the pulley aligned correctly - With the platter removed get down the eye lever with the running face of the idler wheel with the unit on. Does the idler wheel contact centrally on each step of the pulley or is it fouling the step above?

With the platter removed spin the idler wheel, does is spin freely or does it stop abruptly?

- It is worth removing the idler wheel, cleaning the bushes and re oiling

- Outside of general cleaning as mentioned above if the pulsing (Speed fluctuations) continue it may be a motor coil issue
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever.
    www.sellgarrard301.com

I'm Adam.

Thank you matt I'll check it out

I'm Adam.

Matt definitely the pulley adjustment... rock solid now! Thank you

+ Reply to Thread