+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Starter amp and DAC recommendations for a young music lover

I'm Svend.

Hey James -- good to know . Wouldn't want my daughter falling asleep listening to Kenny G. No, wait, that'd be her old man... Zzzzz (just kidding...I'd use a Kenny G disc for a frisbee).

How about the newer Arcam range? Like the A19? Any good? Seems to be well reviewed.

Svend

PS -- I see you have a Cambridge Azur power amp. How do you like it? I can get a new CXA60 integrated here for a good price. Worth looking at?

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XiangShen...8AAOSwr6xZnTpx

As a dac these are hard to beat at anywhere near its cost. good headphone amp too and has great connectivity. V/C only used in headphones.
    They seem to do a dac 03 now, I.would assume it's better and might have the xmos usb upgrade as standard at a lower price than the 01, although I haven't looked recently and prices on these fluctuate as sellers come and go I've noticed.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Hey James -- good to know . Wouldn't want my daughter falling asleep listening to Kenny G. No, wait, that'd be her old man... Zzzzz (just kidding...I'd use a Kenny G disc for a frisbee).

How about the newer Arcam range? Like the A19? Any good? Seems to be well reviewed.

Svend

PS -- I see you have a Cambridge Azur power amp. How do you like it? I can get a new CXA60 integrated here for a good price. Worth looking at?
    Hi Svend ,maybe I'm doing the old Arcam stuff a disservice, the stuff I had just didn't do it for me, I haven't heard any of the new gear. The Cambridge power amp works really well for me,seems well put together,speaker binding posts are a bit cheap and nasty though. Plenty of power,drives my usher s520 speakers really well, I've read good things about the new Cambridge cx range but haven't heard them yet, Jim
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Svend.

Thanks Jim. I think I might take a closer look at that CXA60, and hopefully give it a good listen soon. I've checked out some reviews and they're all good.

To the gang: has anyone had experience with the Mies i100 integrated? I chatted with a few shops on the phone yesterday and a couple mentioned this one as a solid choice. Very reasonable price too - C$500.

Best,
    Svend

Edit: Apologies, ignore the question re. Mies amp. This seems to be a N. America only product, Canadian manufacturer as it happens, but probably not made it to the UK as yet.
    Last edited by Svend N; 13-01-2018 at 14:27.

I'm Tristan.

The Young DAC with psu in the classifieds is very very good (I have one).

I'm Lawrence.

I might be listing a Lead Audio/Northern Fidelity 32/384 dac next week for £200. It had a rave 5 globe review in HiFi World when it was £650.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...PZwwNN2u1NsMnz

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by clap View Post
    The Young DAC with psu in the classifieds is very very good (I have one).
    Me too.
    The Young with a linear power supply will be hard to beat for sensible money.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Svend.

Tristan, Lawrence, Gazjam -- thanks for the the head's-up on stuff for sale in our forum. Unfortunately I'm in Canada and we're running on 120V here, so that pretty much rules out most everything for sale over there in the UK. Believe me, I've been tempted -- some great stuff being listed there. So I just avoid looking in there now . Shipping and customs duties are also a hassle. But thanks for the recommendations on these two DACs. I'll be visiting some shops here soon and I'll see if they're available on this side of the pond.

Regards,
    Svend

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Tristan, Lawrence, Gazjam -- thanks for the the head's-up on stuff for sale in our forum. Unfortunately I'm in Canada and we're running on 120V here, so that pretty much rules out most everything for sale over there in the UK. Believe me, I've been tempted -- some great stuff being listed there. So I just avoid looking in there now . Shipping and customs duties are also a hassle. But thanks for the recommendations on these two DACs. I'll be visiting some shops here soon and I'll see if they're available on this side of the pond.

Regards,
    Svend
    Sounds like a good reason to take a trip over the border and buy a DDA 120!

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Sounds like a good reason to take a trip over the border and buy a DDA 120!
    Could very well happen . In fact, my in-laws live in Michigan, about 4-1/2 hrs. drive away, so we get stuff sent there, umm...every now and then

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast