+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Starter amp and DAC recommendations for a young music lover

I'm Geoff.

Sounds like you are somewhere between London and Kitchener. Know the area well. Spent a month or more travelling around the Great Lakes and ended u picking up a pair of Reference 3A speakers from the manufacturer in Kitchener.

Geoff

I'm Svend.

Nice one! Great speakers. I'm actually about an hour east of Kitchener/Waterloo, north of Toronto. Hope you enjoyed your travels here . No shortage of things to see and do.

Best,
    Svend

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Nice one! Great speakers. I'm actually about an hour east of Kitchener/Waterloo, north of Toronto. Hope you enjoyed your travels here . No shortage of things to see and do.

Best,
    Svend
    Yes I very much enjoyed my time wandering around the lakes. Also, very pleased with my Reference 3a De Capo speakers. I am actually using these speakers with the DDA 120 in my lounge and the combination is very good. The De Capos were my main speaker for a long time but have been displaced by Magneplanar 1.7s which I have set up in a dedicated music room (i.e. spare bedroom).

Hope you find a suitable amp at a good price.

Geoff

I'm Svend.

Thanks Geoff. I was hoping to do some auditioning of amps this past weekend, but it was too cold to go wandering around the city for hours. I'll try again next week...

Great to hear you had a good time exploring this area. I take it you weren't here in winter, otherwise you wouldn't be so enthusiastic .

I'll let you know what I find in way of amps.

Best,
    Svend

I'm Geoff.

Svend,

actually it was pretty chilly whilst I was there but having spent much of the last 20 years working in the tropics its nice to have a bit of a contrast.

Although it is not relevant to your current search, whilst on that trip I also bought one of these http://www.audiosector.com/chassis_patek2_amp.shtml. It is a beautifully constructed power amp that sounds very valve like. The amp is dwarfed by the power supply. If you see one of these for sale second hand locally I would grab it.

Geoff

I'm Svend.

Looks amazing. What a nice piece of kit that must be. I just read the 6 Moons review, and it couldn't have been more complimentary. Thanks for the head's up on that -- I'll keep on the lookout for one. I see he makes an integrated as well. Price seems quite reasonable, actually.

Thanks,
    Svend

I'm Lawrence.

I got hold of my Lead Audio 32/384 dac today and it's not going anywhere for a while! If you want a good dac, seriously consider this, it has a wal wart power supply which I think will work anywhere. It sounds sublime, even when using the inbuilt volume control with the variable outputs. It doesn't have the (usually much better) big output stage or hefty psu but somehow they have eked great sound out of it.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Svend.

Thanks Lawrence. I'll check it out. Some great recommendations from you all about good quality DACs. Lots of homework to do. BTW, I might have mentioned that I will be needing a DAC as well for my own system in the next couple of months (second system in the basement rec room), so all these suggestions are well taken. In other words, I'll be getting a DAC for my daughter and another for myself . It'll likely be similar quality for both, as the systems will be more or less equivalent in sound quality (at least that's the plan).

Cheers,
    Svend

I'm Geoff.

Hi, did you find a suitable amp?

Geoff

I'm Svend.

Hi Geoff,
    Since my last post here, my brother offered up a Sony ES series integrated amp for my daughter, gratis. It's been in storage for years, and he's happy to see it go to his niece. If that doesn't gel with the KEF speakers from Grampa, then Uncle has an NAD receiver that he's willing to part with. So she'll be well taken care of either way, and will have a nice first system.

I still need a DAC though. I will probably go with a server type unit, wifi, bluetooth and all that, considering the generation of the new owner . TBH, I've been too busy with work to pursue this, but hope to get out to some shops this weekend. Need a DAC for my own system also, but that's low priority....

Best,
    Svend

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast