+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is a Squeezebox a better option than my iMac for great sound?

I'm Steve.

Default Is a Squeezebox a better option than my iMac for great sound?

OK chaps, interested in views/thoughts/experience on this one.

it's occurred to me that an iMac my not be the best option as the source for my computer music and I'm wondering if going back to a SB may be the solution.

Quite apart from the debates about whether or not Mac OS and/or iTunes can impose any 'sound' of it's own (please note I'm ignoring that subject here so p[lease let's not open that can of worms again), my concerns are more about whether my iMac has significant limitations when viewed as a 'digital transport' which we would question in another component.

Here are a number of the thoughts that I've had about my iMac:

1. It's got a mass of stuff crammed into a very compact space
    2. It gets very hot
    3. It's got a HD which is always spinning up and down
    4. It must have a fairly nasty SMPS in there which we'd hate in an audio component
    5. Audio was never meant to be it's main purpose and so the output must be compromised
    6. It only has optical rather than coax, so is this an issue?
    7. There are no real options for modding an iMac for improved performance beyond software stuff. i.e improved clock.

So basically all the above have made me think that going back to a SB coul be my best option....
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Keith.

Macs are perfect for audio, just depends how you output the data, optical imho is the least satisfactory, personally I would go for either async USB or async firewire, perhaps turn off other apps if you can while listening to music.
    Keith.
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    Mini DSP digital signal processing.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by purite audio View Post
    Macs are perfect for audio, just depends how you output the data, optical imho is the least satisfactory, personally I would go for either async USB or async firewire, perhaps turn off other apps if you can while listening to music.
    Keith.
    Well there's the rub, neither of the latter are options with my DAC - optical or Coax only.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Wait for a Touch?

I'm Gary.

Hey Steve,
    a few thoughts...

1)
    Do you use your Mac for anything other than audio..I mean whilst actually listening to music?
    -Would that affect sound quality or even what comes out the Toslink socket to your Dac?
    - From reading the workings of Ammara and Vinyl Engine (which gets into that kind of detail) one would assume it may well do.
    Is this a compromise you can live with?

2)
    General conscensus is that Coax SPDIF is better than optical. (Note *General*...)
    Sure, there are other options, but none which apply to your Mac.
    Is this a compromise you can live with?

3)
    Is your Mac in the same room as your Hifi?
    -Is it noisy?
    -Runs hot? (Yes)

4)
    Software "stuff" to improve the "bit-perfect" output is contentious (sorry Keith) and has it actually been proven to work??
    -You are limited to upgrading in this respect.

5) Itunes.
    - Does it do it for you?
    -How do you rate the user experience?

6)
    Alternatives to the Mac (Squeezebox)

a)
    I use one through a Dac, and the sheer benefit of the user experience (I run Ipeng through an Ipod Touch accessing 35K+ tracks available instantly) using the Squeezebox software, and I honestly cant imagine a better way to access your music - really.

b)
    Squeezebox upgradability
    Everything from Power supplies (arguably not required but some say its worthwhile), internal components and the like can be upgraded.
    And dont forget the new Squeezebox Touch is out this year, which as a digital transport approaches (or arguably meets) the Transporters performance.
    Even the SB3 Classic through my modded Beresford sounds stupendous - ill be getting a Touch once its available if it sounds as good as they say it does.
    (The SPDIF output is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the SB3 by early reviews by beta testers).

Heres how I have my SB setup.

Seperate music server in the spare room, £50 Dell PC from Ebay running only Squeezebox software wirelessly linked to my Squeezebox in the livingroom playing through my Dac.
    No noise, no overheating, no compromised output (Flac through ethernet, crc checks and all that ensures the files reach the Squeezebox untouched)

SO;
    there are no nagging doubts about sound quality compromises brought about by the equipment...

no noisy, overheating multi-tasking music server in with the hifi...seperate room out of sight.

The Software and firmware is being constantly improved, and there is an enthusiastic User community writing additional plugins that can do just about anything you would want your music system to do.

Or you could stick to a Mac.....and Itunes.

Me?
    I'd get by with the Mac until the Squeezebox Touch is available...
    Then go to the Dark Side...

Hope this helps?

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebears View Post
    OK chaps, interested in views/thoughts/experience on this one.

it's occurred to me that an iMac my not be the best option as the source for my computer music and I'm wondering if going back to a SB may be the solution.
    Hi Steve

Not having an iMac to hand to compare I cannot give you an answer on how the Squeezebox Classic would square up against one.

The Squeezebox Classsic (or Duet) as stock are not great via the digital out, and compared to your Sony SCD-777ES may only just be bearable. But that’s not the end of it. Add a high quality linear supply, modify the Squeezebox and you have a very capable digital source. Based on the range of modifications I have done to the Classic I would say that replacing the digital regulator, adding a Bybee to the digital output should be the starting point, and preferably add a linear supply such as the TeddySB3. This combination will clean up the sound, removing the electronic haze, digital edge, as well as adding depth, improving detail, dynamics.

Now word has it that the Squeezebox Touch is very good via the digital output, this with a linear supply, a similar modification path to the Classic could be exceptional, so as Gazjam said it may be better to hold off until the Touch is available to buy.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Mark @ Audiocom, Wales UK - 01646 650008

Website

Facebook

Twitter

I'm ILOB.

Why not just get this from Keith http://www.m2tech.biz/products.html and use a usb lead
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm notAlone.

Hi Steve,

every time I've thought that my digital transport and/or dac were at fault, it proved that I was wrong.
    Of course, theoretically, the perfect transport and dac does not exist, but the source elements (provided that they are of minimal quality, and your Mac and dac *are* of more that the minimal quality needed) influence little the overall result. In any case, there's much more to expect by swapping another element than the source.
    That's what I notice every time I test different bits.

So... of course you can get a Touch or a Transporter, and it will admittedly be (theoretically) better, but (if I were you) I would try a different amp. There's much more to expect from an amp-speakers relationship that from a source swapping.

I know all that goes against the famous "source is the most important" rule, but, my experience is different.
    Apologies for not answering directly to your questions.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

+ Reply to Thread