+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mains power leads

I'm Mike.

Big time changes here from mains cables.

That led me into other mains improvements all of which make a nice difference.
    In kit list below.

Anyone want to come to North West Surrey I can demo
    Last edited by MikeMusic; 11-01-2018 at 16:58.
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Svend.

Here's an explanation of the principle behind it.... http://www.geocities.ws/jonrisch/ac-cords.htm

Interesting reading.

It might be good to hear from a repair tech on this subject. Someone who deals with these questions as a matter of routine when they work on modding/upgrading a component.

I'm Simon.

Put the old ones back in the improvement usually stays
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Simon.

Measure the voltage coming out of the psu caps... No difference
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Dave.

Yes, I have heard differences when changing mains cables, not always better or worse, just different. Providing the cables don't cost more than 100 quid or so, I don't see any reason why not to experiment.

I'm Martin.

A few years ago I was intrigued so bought a power cord on here, second hand, think it was £20. It does look the business but since then I have used it on countless power amps and cd players and cross compared with the standard lead. I've never heard a difference.

Nevertheless, you can't just dismiss the subjective experiences of thousands of people. So I suspect that there is something going on, albeit situation dependant. And it probably has a technical explanation. But unless you first know what exactly is happening it is pretty hard to give a technical explanation.

One point to note though, if you really want to know if the thing is actually making a difference, make sure you level-match your comparisons and ideally, have someone else swap the cords (or pretend to). The level-matching is most important as even a 0.5 dB increase in sound level will come across as an 'improvement' in sound quality. That's only the tiniest tweak of the volume knob.A trick that dishonest comparison demonstrators have used for years. Remote control has made it even easier to do.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

The way I test mains cables is to use an amp with a good power supply. I can swap over mains leads without reducing volume, muting or switching off, just change mains leads and listen for differences.

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    A few years ago I was intrigued so bought a power cord on here, second hand, think it was £20. It does look the business but since then I have used it on countless power amps and cd players and cross compared with the standard lead. I've never heard a difference.

Nevertheless, you can't just dismiss the subjective experiences of thousands of people. So I suspect that there is something going on, albeit situation dependant. And it probably has a technical explanation. But unless you first know what exactly is happening it is pretty hard to give a technical explanation.

One point to note though, if you really want to know if the thing is actually making a difference, make sure you level-match your comparisons and ideally, have someone else swap the cords (or pretend to). The level-matching is most important as even a 0.5 dB increase in sound level will come across as an 'improvement' in sound quality. That's only the tiniest tweak of the volume knob.A trick that dishonest comparison demonstrators have used for years. Remote control has made it even easier to do.
    So true! I attended a demo event by the local rep for a large turntable manufacturer (name withheld), in which he compared various TT models to a high end CD player. In every A-B comparison he had the turntable playing louder, which of course made it sound better...more dynamic, etc.. When I called him out on it (which displeased him greatly) he denied that it was intentional but still didn't make an effort to match levels.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    So true! I attended a demo event by the local rep for a large turntable manufacturer (name withheld), in which he compared various TT models to a high end CD player. In every A-B comparison he had the turntable playing louder, which of course made it sound better...more dynamic, etc.. When I called him out on it (which displeased him greatly) he denied that it was intentional but still didn't make an effort to match levels.
    One easy mistake to make is to listen with a stock cord, then put in the new, fancy cord and turn the levels up because you figure that if there is going to be an improvement it will only be small, so you want to be able to hear it. You're not intending to deceive yourself, but you do anyway.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Nevertheless, you can't just dismiss the subjective experiences of thousands of people. So I suspect that there is something going on, albeit situation dependant. And it probably has a technical explanation.
    There is. It's called expectation bias.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast