+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mains power leads

I'm Gary.

Thanks for this, to me cost wasn't an issue as the one I made from parts that cost less than £10, were as good as bought ones that themselves weren't expensive.

The principle was could I hear a positive contribution to my listening pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Yes, I have heard a difference, though I don't know why it made a difference. Without knowing why, I am loath to recommend anything based on the principal that "it's more expensive so it must be better". There must be a more scientific principal at work. Unfortunately I don't know what that principal is.

I'm Andy.

I tested a Russ Andrews Powerkord against generic cables a while back and there was a slight improvement to bass and noise floor. I was mostly trying to eliminate mains problems rather than improve sound quality at the time (the RA cable helped, but it was like pissing in the wind given how bad the noise was) and subsequently discovered that proper filtering was required. I remember the cable burn in process being quite dramatic though.

I also used some Mark Grant DSP2.5 cables to replace the generic APC and Maplin IEC 14 to IEC 13 cables coming out of a Furman filter. The dynamics were completely squashed with the generic cables and thankfully the MG ones sorted it out. I couldn't afford any more RA cables at that point so went looking for an alternative and found MG.

I haven't actually compared the RA cables to MG yet, but will do at some point. To be honest the MG is so much cheaper I just buy those now.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    The principle was could I hear a positive contribution to my listening pleasure.
    That's the effect rather than the cause. I was stumped as to what the cause could be.

I'm Gary.

That's the effect rather than the cause. I was stumped as to what the cause could be.
    The effect, if any, was my target

I guess perhaps somewhere out there the cause is understood, if only we knew the answer.....lol

I'm George.

Yes.

Infuriatingly the effect varied from component to component.

So in my case ARC valve amps did not show a great change with any cable bar the Transparent Audio mains cable. A Nord Class D amp showed differences between a cheap cable and a shielded Supra mains cable. So very much a try and see approach but not surprised when some people report no great gains (valve amps?) or real differences with solid state amps.

I'm Svend.

Gary, I can't comment as yet on the effect of a component's power cable, but I will very soon. I have made up a 12ga. cable for my power amp (ss Belles) which I intend to swap in within the next couple of days. I'll report back here if I notice any difference (or not). That said, I have had the power cables upgraded on a preamp and CD player (the latter to a shielded one), but I really can't say if they improved the sound as they were part of a whole bunch of other mods done at the same time.

However, I can categorically state that running a dedicated power line from the breaker box to the audio system made a very noticeable difference. This was one of the first things I did nearly 20 years ago when first building up a decent system. The differences, albeit not dramatic, were immediately apparent -- better dynamics, fuller sound. I would never set up a good system now without being able to do this, if at all possible. While this is a bit off-topic from your original question, it's quite related, and should be viewed as part of the overall system, in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Best,
    Svend

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I have never heard any powr cable change make any difference.
    I'm glad it was you said that Adam. I'd have been hauled over the coals if I'd done it, even though I agree!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by George47 View Post
    Yes.

Infuriatingly the effect varied from component to component.

So in my case ARC valve amps did not show a great change with any cable bar the Transparent Audio mains cable. A Nord Class D amp showed differences between a cheap cable and a shielded Supra mains cable. So very much a try and see approach but not surprised when some people report no great gains (valve amps?) or real differences with solid state amps.
    Nice to hear from you George, been low profile (here at least).

I bought some Audusa Eupen 05/4.0GNLM probably 8-9 years ago and thought I heard a difference - I have used them ever since, for the main components anyway.

I'm Martin.

I installed a spur just for audio using 30 amp quality cable and crabtree sockets which made a substantial improvement a few years ago
    I have since used quality mains cables since which further improved things but not by as much.
    I think that it pays to get a dedicated ring main installed if practical !!!!! rather than spend stupid money on mains cables as the differences become more and more subtle.

Says the blocke who just bought a used Cardas Golden Power!!!!!!!!!!
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Martin.

Yes, I have heard a difference, though I don't know why it made a difference. Without knowing why, I am loath to recommend anything based on the principal that "it's more expensive so it must be better". There must be a more scientific principal at work. Unfortunately I don't know what that principal is.
    Think you've just hit the nail on the head
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

+ Reply to Thread