+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Mains power leads

I'm Craig.

Very true, however he does sell ic’s and speaker cables too, as the world and his dog know, but still advocates getting the mains sorted first.

I believe you and I are of the same frame of mind in that mains stuff makes the least difference when compared to speaker cable and ic’s.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Phil.

when i had some beautiful belles mb100 monoblocks i put some valhalla mains leads on them , oh my it was horrible , soon went back to good old copper
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Simon.

I honestly have no idea, I read the bullshit, I listen and then make my own mind up. Put something in, take it out ad finitum. In many instances I have loaned people my Shunyata Hydra, only when I was on holiday. Take it back and ask what did it do? I'm not sure but in over a dozen instances they decided they had to have one? In most of these instances I thought the people had been fleeced given their systems sounded crap at multiples of cost over mine bought from around the world used. Really gets on my tits when inveterate box swappers with more money than sense finally realise that all the basics would transform their system until used car shysters cotton onto the profits in snake oil.. which power, cabling, isolation and room treatments aint. Then what really gets my back up is clowns who have no experience of anything that you might suggest say it's a load of crap! Given the ludicrous reviews of 11K turntables being ok for the price, I'll settle for my Oracle /Kuzma/Koetsu costing me around 1200 quid and kiss all this s--t goodbye! It really has become just a wankfest for folks with more money than sense.

I'm Russell.

I’ve replaced a few power cables in my system and I do believe they are making a difference. But, as said by others, it’s not night and day. I have not tried several high dollar cables, just cables that are better than stock, even one I made myself from Furutech wire I bought from eBay, and Wattgate plugs. Do I hear a difference? I think so, but if I had never heard the difference I don’t think it would hurt my feelings. I was already pretty happy with the sound. But! I’ve got a brand new cable for my amp that I have not introduced yet. I bought it when I bought the amp, it has a 20 amp socket and I did not know if the previous owner had the power cord or not. But when I got the amp it has the stock Krell power cord so I used it. And I have no problem with how it sounds now! But, I’m waiting on some new interconnects, some balanced cables from pre to amp, and I figure I’ll swap them all at the same time, no sense in moving all that heavy stuff but once. (I will listen after each change so I’ll know who is to blame for any improvements) The homemade cord is now powering my CD player, again, I feel it has made a difference, but I can’t testify that it’s smoothing the tops, or adding bass, it’s just a bit more right.

If you’re going to spend big money on nice gear, no sense in not trying to get your best from it. But do you need to spend thousands? I can’t see how they can justify those prices, the materials don’t add up. It’s just as likely that a 300 dollar cable will work for you as a 3000 dollar one, throwing money at a problem doesn’t guarantee a solution.

Russell

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Si74 View Post
    .... In most of these instances I thought the people had been fleeced given their systems sounded crap at multiples of cost over mine bought from around the world used ....
    And that is why definitive statements about subjective matters are not appropriate.

Most likely, you thought their systems sounded crap because their objectives didn't align with your own.
    Different strokes for different folks.

I've heard many multi-£k systems and have preferred my own.
    But that's not because other peoples' choices are crap, but because they have different requirements and opinions.

A little more humility would go a long way.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    And that is why definitive statements about subjective matters are not appropriate.

Most likely, you thought their systems sounded crap because their objectives didn't align with your own.

But that's not because other peoples' choices are crap, but because they have different requirements and opinions.

I'm Anthony.

I have had a number of different power cables. From Russ Andrews reference all the way up to Nordost Valhalla and Tyr 2.
    Yes they make a difference. Some are overpriced, yes , but nobody is being held up at gunpoint and forced to buy. I love swapping out cables to hear the differences they bring to sound.

The Tyr 2 ,although expensive, is he best I have heard to date. Others come in much cheaper and are bargains on the second hand market.

Cardas , Wireworld , AFA , Synergistic research , Black Rhodium and LessLoss offer superb value for money,especially on the 2nd hand market
    Our education is wrong, it takes no note of the subtleties of human nature, it places more importance on the memory of an individual than how memorable an individual is. Bernard Sumner 1995

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

No it's because their systems are generally overpriced crap bought from shysters and becuase they have paid so much, it must be good,lol.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Si74 View Post
    No it's because their systems are generally overpriced crap bought from shysters and becuase they have paid so much, it must be good,lol.
    You ain't got a list of who to avoid handy have you? Would be most useful for all then it would end all discussion as we'd all have the ''perfect'' system.
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    ...... throwing money at a problem doesn’t guarantee a solution ....

Russell
    One of the best quotes I have read recently :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011