+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Mains power leads

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I think there needs to be some caution around power cables. They are one of the last things that should be considered, during the final tweaking of the system, and not a way to magically make your mid-range amp sound like a high-end one. They are not "game changers" and there is no "night and day" difference. If you're spending more than 10% of your budget on cables, then maybe a rethink is required...

In my experience they can make a minor, but worthwhile difference. Some sound a bit 'edgier' and 'harsher', some sound a bit 'smoother' and 'nicer'.
    That all sounds reasonable but when you've got people saying that amplifiers are unlistenable without a fancy cable, or that they can tell what mains cables are in use by just listening to the system, even from outside the room, what are we to make of that?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    they can tell what mains cables are in use by just listening to the system, even from outside the room
    Are you telling me you can't?

I'm Neil.

That all sounds reasonable but when you've got people saying that amplifiers are unlistenable without a fancy cable, or that they can tell what mains cables are in use by just listening to the system, even from outside the room, what are we to make of that?
    I would switch cables with them out the room, a simple A/B test, so they can tell me which is the unlistenable one, and which one makes it so much better.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yes I remember who that Member was. He also claimed to be able to hear changes in level of 0.01dB.
    Barry

I'm Deleted.

That some people have very active imaginations - at least, that’s what I make of such claims.
    Account Deleted

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    That some people have very active imaginations - at least, that’s what I make of such claims.
    Well that's it, isn't it? I like to give people the benefit of the doubt but sometimes they don't make it easy.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Tristan.

I'm pleased to confirm that my system has never sounded better since recently adding a Furutech Alpha 3 cable with the Furutech plug and carbon fibre iec. It replaced a none too sloppy Oyaide cable with the same plug and an Iego iec. It sounded good before but there's now more detail. I attribute that to going from a solid core cable to a multi stranded one.

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I think there needs to be some caution around power cables. They are one of the last things that should be considered, during the final tweaking of the system, and not a way to magically make your mid-range amp sound like a high-end one. They are not "game changers" and there is no "night and day" difference. If you're spending more than 10% of your budget on cables, then maybe a rethink is required...

In my experience they can make a minor, but worthwhile difference. Some sound a bit 'edgier' and 'harsher', some sound a bit 'smoother' and 'nicer'.
    Russ Abbott disagrees with you!

Oops, I mean Russ Andrews!

Anyway, in his world sorting mains is the first thing to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Tristan.

Quote Originally Posted by clap View Post
    I'm pleased to confirm that my system has never sounded better since recently adding a Furutech Alpha 3 cable with the Furutech plug and carbon fibre iec. It replaced a none too sloppy Oyaide cable with the same plug and an Iego iec. It sounded good before but there's now more detail. I attribute that to going from a solid core cable to a multi stranded one.
    I should say thst both the above cables were a bit better than the Mark Grant mains cables (which are themselves very good and off exceptional vfm).

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by icehockeyboy View Post
    Russ Abbott disagrees with you!

Oops, I mean Russ Andrews!

Anyway, in his world sorting mains is the first thing to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah, which isn’t at all surprising considering what his company sells.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast