+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the puzzle

I'm paul.

Default the puzzle

hi everyone
    i keep looking at this circuit diagram of my amplifier power section in the hope of trying to mark out and highlight on it the route the audio signal takes from input to output...never was much good at puzzles
    anyone up to the task and has the knowledge to sort and mark it out for me...pretty please,its driving me nuts,and i was nuts to start with

regards
    paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

RothwellAudio Guest

You're starting with a misconception in my opinion. It's commonly assumed that the signal goes in at one end and follows a path through a maze of resistors/capacitors/transistors and comes out at the other end. No, it doesn't really do that. It's more like a complex set of cogs and wheels and pulleys where you turn a bit at "the input" and everything else turns simultaneously, and "the output" is just another one of the bits turning.

You need to recognize bits of the circuit such as the long tail pair, constant current sources, the output stage etc. Actually, that's quite a sophisticated circuit with bits that are often just a single transistor being complex two-transistor arrangements. There's also a current mirror in there.
    Anyway, try spotting the long tail pair first (aka the differential input).

I'm Rob.

Are they TR3/TR2 and TR4 and the one linked to it? When you blow it up the numbers just get harder to read. Are they the Sziklai pairs I can see?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

RothwellAudio Guest

Yes, the diagram is too small to see the numbers clearly but the long tail pair seems to be TR21/27/28/29. A simpler and more common circuit would have just two transistors there. The "long tail" is sometimes just a resistor but in this instance has been replaced by a constant current source formed by TR36 and TR37. Again, a single transistor is more common. Sorry, I can't even find TR2, TR3 and TR4. I think a bigger, clearer diagram is needed.

Really, all parts of the total circuit are doing something (or else why have them there?) and although the idea of a simple "signal path" is appealing it's actually quite misleading and explains why people say "resistor X is in the signal path, but resistor Y is not" when it's really not that simple.

I'm Paul.

An anology I use is that an amplifier is like a tap.

Imagine you (the signal) turning the tap handle (the tap being the amplifier) so that the flow of water (water - the amplifiers power suppy) is being modulated and flowing into the sink (the speakers) at a flow rate that depends on the position of the tap handle.

So the signal just controls the tap which in turn controls the flow of water. You the signal are not sucked into the tap and spat out harder and faster, you just use a little bit of energy to control the flow of a much larger source of energy.

As LTPs go that’s a complicated one, current sources, current sink, current mirror. I do wonder if it really needs to be that complicated sometimes.
    ~Paul~

I'm Geoff.

Well I regard a triode as a tap. But to me a whole amp is like a Newton Cradle, you bang one end and bits bounce all the way through.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Well I regard a triode as a tap. But to me a whole amp is like a Newton Cradle, you bang one end and bits bounce all the way through.

A triode is a valve, a tap is a valve, so it would be the right way to think of it.
    ~Paul~

I'm Alan.

Heres the original diag......
    Modified SB Receiver, SB Touch, GustardX16 DAC, Mitchell Alecto Mk2 Upgraded, DCB1 hot rod with BTFSystems LDR and input board, Club27 Kurt Mk2 with crossover upgrade and Laquor pack, Tannoy XT6F, IPL S2TLK CD3, Pioneer PL550 (thanks Andrew) Various TDA1541 CDP's, too much shit I dont use to list.

I'm Alan.

I thought you might be able to zoom in on it but it appears not....
    Modified SB Receiver, SB Touch, GustardX16 DAC, Mitchell Alecto Mk2 Upgraded, DCB1 hot rod with BTFSystems LDR and input board, Club27 Kurt Mk2 with crossover upgrade and Laquor pack, Tannoy XT6F, IPL S2TLK CD3, Pioneer PL550 (thanks Andrew) Various TDA1541 CDP's, too much shit I dont use to list.

I'm Grant.

this might help...

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast