+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ariston RD-80 / RD-80SE platter bearing needed

I'm Mike.

Default Ariston RD-80 / RD-80SE platter bearing needed

Hi and good evening.

Could any of you collectors of useful bits and pieces for turntables find me a main (platter) bearing assembly for Ariston RD-80 /80SE or RD60 or RD90 (they may well be the same one). I managed to 'kill' mine while servicing the deck (put a rubber plug in it to keep the oil in and then managed to drop the plug all the way to the bottom). Non-extractable ! Bugger!!!

Will certainly discuss any financial recompense if one can be found. Contact me through this site please.

Yours gratefully,
    Mike

I'm Geoff.

I'd have thought the rubber bung could be removed. Doesn't sound insurmountable to me.

I'm Clive.

Don't know if it would work here but for AR decks a piece of blu tack on the blunt end of a pencil is the common technique for extracting and replacing delrin thrust washers from the bottom of the bearing well. The oil has to be swabbed clean first otherwise it prevents the blu tack from being sticky enough.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'd have thought the rubber bung could be removed. Doesn't sound insurmountable to me.
    Hi Geoff, long time - no hear.

Rubber bung is of irregular shape, one of the 4 rubber 'feet' used to 'hang' a CPU fan in the PC. The bearing has a precisely dimensioned bronze sleeve down the middle but it doesn't go all the way down. There is a larger free space below where the bung has settled and all attempts to get it back past the 'lip' formed by the edge of the bronze sleeve have failed. Trying to get some thin, long surgical clamps but that is my last resort. Looking for a spare bearing assembly just in case.

Been at it for three days now and decided to ask for some help from the mates.

Have a nice evening,
    Mike

I'm Mike.

Thanks, but it won't work.
    See my reply below to 'walpurgis'.

Regards,
    Mike

I'm Geoff.

Try inserting a piece of stiff (metal?) tubing down into the bearing to stop the bung rotating, then push a long threaded bradawl down the tube so it screws into the bung and see if that will draw it out.

Failing that a sensible amount of heat should destroy the bung without damaging the metal of the bearing.

There are probably solvents that will dissolve the bung as well.

I would use a boily loading device like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kit-Riggi....c100005.m1851
    I have used that many times for fishing, but also to recover stuff that no other tool could grip on to.

I'm Ian.

I have an RD80 turntable complete with good bearing, platter, plinth and lid - in fact everything apart from a motor. It was going to be a project but has sat there for some years doing nothing. I'm loathe to split it but wouldn't want too much for the whole thing, say £70 if you are interested.

I'm Nigel.

Hello Mike and Ian,

May be able to help you both here as I have a RD80 with a damaged platter.
    Bearing available for Mike and a motor for Ian if required, both would be sensible prices.

Send me a pm if interested.

Nigel

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    I have an RD80 turntable complete with good bearing, platter, plinth and lid - in fact everything apart from a motor. It was going to be a project but has sat there for some years doing nothing. I'm loathe to split it but wouldn't want too much for the whole thing, say £70 if you are interested.
    Thanks Ian and Nigel,
    My bearing problem has been solved this morning with a pair of long-nosed surgical forceps I ordered in despair. GBP 3.95 incl. postage. But I can see how Nigel can help your project Ian with his spare motor. In fact, for a project, I would still take it for (say) GBP70. Let me know.

Thank you all who read my message and answered, and offered suggestions. We do have a good team here at AoS.

Good night and regards all,
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast