+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dipping my toes into the World of Valves

I'm Tony.

Yes, I didn't want to take on the import minefield at this point, so unless you're going 'used', a grand pretty much is entry level it seems
    I did take it's limitations into consideration as far as the type of music I'll be listening to is concerned. The majority of my listening tends to be vocal/acoustic these days. I'm sure there will be some stuff that it will struggle with but I think I can live with that for now.
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Shaun.

In the words of my long lost father; "It's a bit raucous". That is the kind of thing the Stereo 20 PP does not like. I think that combined with loudspeakers that are aimed mainly at vocal reproduction it will really shine.

I'm tony.

PM sent...

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    ...we found that it only really suited simple acoustic music. Bach's cello suites played by Yo Yo Ma sounded sublime as did acoustic guitar along the lines of Paco De Lucia but really serious prog or anything heavily confused it did not like. I think to be honest it needed loudspeakers beyond the abilities of our KEF's.
    I think the measure of a good amplifier is how well it copes with complex music. There are lots of flea-power amplifiers that sound great with simple music (or maybe not simple music, but with few instruments), but they fall apart when faced with busy/complex music with many instruments doing different things. I doubt the blame lay with the KEFs.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I think the measure of a good amplifier is how well it copes with complex music. There are lots of flea-power amplifiers that sound great with simple music (or maybe not simple music, but with few instruments), but they fall apart when faced with busy/complex music with many instruments doing different things. I doubt the blame lay with the KEFs.
    Well Andrew Sue and I loved the KEF's and although we have a 'better' pair of speakers now these new ones have around an octave missing from the bottom end that was clearly here on the Q500's. They were a really nice pair of speakers.
    I don't really miss the Icon Audio amp though.

RothwellAudio Guest

Yes, I've heard some great sounding KEFs. Definitely good speakers.

I'm gone.

Good luck with it, Tony.

My gosh - what a lot of negative vibes!
    It sounds to me like you know exactly what you are doing and have a realistic set of expectations - which with my own (quite extensive) experience of el84 amps I would expect to be exceeded!
    Nice things, I love them to bits although I haven't come across your particular model.

No, they won't shake the walls and have plaster dust coming down with most speakers, but by the sound of it that isn't your objective. They do usually get to the heart of the music, though. el84 are my favourite power valve for that very reason. Others valve types I have tried can be more 'impressive', but none are more musical imho.

Tannoys. Yes, well. I thought it was generally recognised these days that you want 50wpc of push-pull valve amp to get a proper grip on them?
    Two el84 a side can't be expected to do that.

Nice review - which I am sure you have seen! - here http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/art...pound;500/8887

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Good luck with it, Tony.

My gosh - what a lit of negative vibes!
    It sounds to me like you know exactly what you are doing and have a realistic set of expectations - which with my own (quite extensive) experience of el84 amps I would expect to be exceeded!
    Nice things, I love them to bits although I haven't come across your particular model.

No, they won't shake the walls and have plaster dust coming down with most speakers, but by the sound of it that isn't your objective. They do usually get to the heart of the music, though. el84 are my favourite power valve for that very reason. Others I have tried can be more 'impressive', but none are more musical imho.

Tannoys. Yes, well. I thought it was generally recognised these days that you want 50wpc of push-pull valve amp to get a proper grip on them?
    Thanks Jerry!

Yes, getting nearer to the heart of the music is exactly what I'm looking for, within the limitations of my current environment of course.
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Geoff.

Not so.

The twelve watt Leak Stereo 20 has a pair of EL84's per side and can drive Tannoys perfectly well.

I've used 200 watt plus amps with Tannoys, but it's absolutely not necessary. I drove mine with 15 watt monos for years and had plenty of grip, and more than enough power.

I'm Chris.

Good luck with it, Tony.

My gosh - what a lot of negative vibes!

Echoes my feeling about this thread so far.

If it has a 90-day return policy, what the heck? I had a pair of MS 700s for years and only changed them recently. I liked them a lot but found them to be a little bit clinical but nicely detailed. I think your amp may balance them nicely actually. Are you using the ballast chamber at the bottom of the MS 700s? I put 5KG of screws into each of mine and it tightened bass nicely, not that it was bad before, but it gave a fuller sound to acoustic instruments as well.

Am interested in what you think cos the MS 700s have a a nice mid range I think.

I am also especially interested in how you find the amp's power. Those speakers are 8 ohm if I remember.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast