+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dipping my toes into the World of Valves

I'm Tony.

I haven't done anything with the MS 700 s other than raise them on stands, which really helped tighten things up. Will have to have a look at the ballast option. :-) They've seen off bigger and smaller speakers I've had that were more 'impressive', or had better imaging, simply because I find vocals on them to be more natural and beguiling.
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not so.

The twelve watt Leak Stereo 20 has a pair of EL84's per side and can drive Tannoys perfectly well.

I've used 200 watt plus amps with Tannoys, but it's absolutely not necessary. I drove mine with 15 watt monos for years and had plenty of grip, and more than enough power.
    Yip, the WAD EL84 power amp that Tony is selling was excellent on my Tannoys, I think it's only about 15-18w and I could get to 10 on the Spinal Tap scale only reason I spent £100's more was because I wanted to get to 11

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post

I put 5KG of screws into each of mine and it tightened bass nicely, not that it was bad before, but it gave a fuller sound to acoustic instruments .

Ok, I’ve gotta ask. Why did you put 15 pounds of screws in your speaker? Does it matter what size screws you use? Do #8’s sound better than 1/4-20’s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Ok, I’ve gotta ask. Why did you put 15 pounds of screws in your speaker? Does it matter what size screws you use? Do #8’s sound better than 1/4-20’s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A legit question. I have to tell you, some thought went into it. Here's the story.

I thought I had nailed it with nails at first, but didn't like the colour. Then tacks caught my fancy but my friends thought they were, well, tacky. In the end I settled on iron screws with a beautiful zinc coating. Exquisite. Also cheap.

"Iron: It is heavier than sand, and cheaper than Uranium 235!" as we say in the UK.

We don't really say that.

Advice for all members: The smaller the screw, the better the weight to volume ratio.

The "irony" of course is that it didn't screw up anything - the bass was tremendous after that!

Sorry, I had the MS 900s, not the 700s. What was I thinking? Sorry. Don't think ballast can be done on yours.

I'm Tony.

[QUOTE=Lerxst;936219]
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post

A legit question. I have to tell you, some thought went into it. Here's the story.

I thought I had nailed it with nails at first, but didn't like the colour. Then tacks caught my fancy but my friends thought they were, well, tacky. In the end I settled on iron screws with a beautiful zinc coating. Exquisite. Also cheap.

"Iron: It is heavier than sand, and cheaper than Uranium 235!" as we say in the UK.

We don't really say that.

Advice for all members: The smaller the screw, the better the weight to volume ratio.

The "irony" of course is that it didn't screw up anything - the bass was tremendous after that!

Sorry, I had the 900s, not the 700s. What was I thinking? Sorry. Don't think ballast can be done on yours.
    Yes, mine are not even the 700, they're the 400!
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Geoff.

[QUOTE=mightymonoped;936222]

The MS400 are nice.

I'm Chris.

[QUOTE=mightymonoped;936222]

We'll get there in the end.

I'm Tony.

Well it’s here, and I have a smile on my face! I swapped the stock drivers for some Genalex Gold Lion ECC82/83 and it’s sounding great so far. Seems to drive the MS400 very easily and there’s no shortage of bass even at low volumes. Space, air and effortless musicality so far. Now I have to listen to my entire music collection over the next few weeks as it beds in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gone.

Very nice.

I'm Simon.

Never understood all this hype about Genalex Gold Lions? The real ones are fabulous and ludicrously overpriced for what's usually way past it crap, the new copies bear no resemblance and are generally crap. Stick it in a fancy box and charge way over the odds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast