+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dipping my toes into the World of Valves

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Si74 View Post
    Never understood all this hype about Genalex Gold Lions? The real ones are fabulous and ludicrously overpriced for what's usually way past it crap, the new copies bear no resemblance and are generally crap. Stick it in a fancy box and charge way over the odds.
    Never understood the value in pissing on other people’s happiness, it’s a funny old world innit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm gone.

Yep.
    This seems to be one of those threads, sadly. A whole bunch of negativity.
    Don't worry about it - if it sounds good, it is good.
    We've all got different tastes and goals.
    - Shaun recommends the Gold Lion tubes, Simon doesn't. Ok.
    It seems like your valve experiment has been a success to me!
    Last edited by jandl100; 01-02-2018 at 07:04.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Si74 View Post
    Never understood all this hype about Genalex Gold Lions? The real ones are fabulous and ludicrously overpriced for what's usually way past it crap, the new copies bear no resemblance and are generally crap. Stick it in a fancy box and charge way over the odds.
    Well it certainly wasn't any kind of hype when I swapped my stock valves for gold pinned Gold Lions.

I'm Shaun.

A massive well done Tony. You'll have people telling you now that valves are a load of outdated crap. Funny that because so is vinyl which also sounds so superior when you get it right. The thing that gets me about valves is that liquid purity in the midrange that I have never heard from transistors in forty years of listening. For those who simply don't get the gold pinned Gold Lion thing, just put your original valves back in after a month or so of listening and you'll quite clearly hear that it is just a load of hype (not).

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    Never understood the value in pissing on other people’s happiness, it’s a funny old world innit?

There aren't many people on here that do this, just a few and it's not just directed at hi-fi either.

I'm Tony.

No worries, all part of life’s rich tapestry. I’m just looking forward to getting in after work later and having another listening session.

A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Shane.

Sweet amp that little Icon Audio. Enjoy!

Feck what the haters say!!

S.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Sweet amp that little Icon Audio. Enjoy!

Feck what the haters say!!

S.
    Always do!

I'm Simon.

No problem , fools and their money, Look at it and nearly all the valves you can buy are produced in the same factory, fancy box, fancy price.....
    Sovteks for a fraction of the price and you won't blow up your amps! Negative... no just a realist, check out people who really know about valves opinions
    on the new Gold Lions, have heard them, not impressed and certainly not stupid enough to pay their inflated prices for bullshit and a fancy box so keep
    buttering your selfs up boys:-)

Bigman80 Guest

Seems to be a very negative vibe on the forum lately.

The guy has spent his hard earned cash on something he wanted and you keep pissing on his chips!

Give it a rest.

Buy whatever valves you want, listen to whatever you want, as long as it's making you happy it's money well spent. Nothing wrong with tube rolling. I've had great results from it and found a sweet spot with Telefunken valves. Whilst not cheap I think they are worth it.

Valves make sweet music and Icon are well made and get a good rep. Just enjoy it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast