+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony UBP-X800 BD discs play perfectly but DVD discs keep blacking out picture?

I'm JP.

Default Sony UBP-X800 BD discs play perfectly but DVD discs keep blacking out picture?

I am pulling my hair out with this and hope someone can offer some help.

I have a Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-Ray player which I use for BD, DVD and audio CDs.

Audio CDs sound good and Blu-Ray discs play great without any errors but many (if not most) of the DVDs I play produce random 4-5 second picture blackouts - sometimes three or four times during a movie but sometimes far more and it is very irritating. When a blackout occurs, the sound continues.

I have tried swapping the HDMI cable, swapping the HDMI input to the monitor, cleaning the discs carefully but nothing seems to cure it - any suggestions...?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm JP.

Just a quick update - I found a recent software update for the Sony (May 2022) which I installed.

I then proceeded to watch a couple of DVD movies and the problem still exists - more than 30 blackouts on the first movie and around 15 on the second.

I'm Gary.

Player general failure or an HDMI "handshake" issue?
    Your monitor itself?

Does the monitor have more than one HDMI input?

Do you have another bluray player to swap in temporarily swap in?
    just to track down where fault lies.

I'm JP.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The monitor is only 9 months old and Blu-Ray discs work perfectly which is complicating my thought process as there is far more data being handled with a Blu-Ray than a DVD so I would expect Blu-Ray to cause more problems than DVD.

The monitor has three HDMI inputs - I have tried them all. Unfortunately I don't have another Blu-Ray player to try.

I'm Grant.

they use different lasers, so could be an issue there. the bluray uses a blue one and dvd a red one
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

When you say monitor is it not a TV? What model is it?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    they use different lasers, so could be an issue there. the bluray uses a blue one and dvd a red one
    different decoder chips too. Not economical to repair if it's either that's gone bad.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    different decoder chips too. Not economical to repair if it's either that's gone bad.
    yeah, must be... not saying its anything to do with it but it could be. 4k still uses same bluray laser by way
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm JP.

That's very useful information to know - thanks.

I think the Blu-Ray player is still under warranty so I'm going to contact the store next and get them to test it out.

Thanks again.

I'm Nathan.

I had the same model and found out it is known for this issue.

Mine did this regularly to despite the software upgrade.
    I upgraded mine to the MK2 which works perfectly.
    If it is still under warranty I would return it and upgrade to the MK2 as I did.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast