+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can't hear the dialogue on modern films? Here's why

I'm Martin.

Default Can't hear the dialogue on modern films? Here's why

Lots of reasons for this, but turns out that it's not down to your hearing going or the sound engineers not knowing what they are doing:

https://www.slashfilm.com/673162/her...et-newtab&s=09
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

Interesting. So it really needs the director to push for improving the audio quality.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Dennis.

That is a refreshing article, and a relief that I am not the only one who furiously struggles with much sound.

The point about those familiar also IMO applies to radio media, where a subject matter being discussed often has sloppy pronunciation, but to those familiar with and immersed in the subject, only a vague 'nudge/grunt' is required to identify that which may be a strange or new word to the unfamiliar listener.

Why the hell they do not care amazes me; how can they be content to compromise understanding?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The same applies to some made for TV productions. Not only are they filmed in "Murk-O-Vision", but have mumbling dialogue as well.

Interesting point re. the rôle of the projectionist in modern cinema theatres. I used to a member of our local film club and got to know the projectionist quite well. He went to great lengths to screen the film to the best of his ability (and of the quality and condition of the print), as well as taking care with the sound reproduction (using big JBL speakers and Quad 510 amplifiers).
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread