Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
Rega use the signal gnd wire on one channel as the gnd. Which is fine in single ended phonostages which throwaway signal - on both channels by grounding them to the phonostage chassis.
But step up transformers don't do that, they use the full voltage swing between signal minus and plus on each channel. They retain the fully balanced signal that comes from the cartridge.
There's the same voltage between the positive and negative terminals on a cartridge whether it is wired balanced or unbalanced - there's no difference between the two.
Also, a step-up transformer can be wired as balanced input with unbalanced output, or balanced at input and balanced output, or unbalanced input with balanced output, or unbalanced at both input and output. There's a multitude of options. The most common is unbalanced input and unbalanced output. In all cases the voltages are the same.
Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
Just done a dem using the Rega P6 with Ania cartridge. Now, of course, this uses Rega arm wiring, which I have never found to be a problem. We were trying various step up transformers and a Rothwell Headspace. There was no hum, buzz or any extraneous noises from the Rega set up - total silence and that's the way I have found it to be with numerous, various Rega turntables over the years. The Rega wiring is practical and not a problem.
Yes, Rega's wiring shouldn't be a problem. I'm still trying to work out exactly what is wrong in the OP's setup but I'm confident it is that Rega's wiring uses just one signal negative as the ground for the arm but the SUT is linking both signal negatives together. Or maybe it isn't It's a lot easier having the equipment in front of you than diagnosing problems via forum posts.