+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What gives a system slam and dynamics?

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    IMO big drivers Low frequency you do not listen to it whit ears they hit U on tummy
    I think this may be an example of what I meant when I said, upthread, that some appear to want to listen to music as if it were a collection of sound effects, rather than notes of varying duration and pitch. Of course, if the music you are listening to is in fact a collection of sound effects, then fine.
    IB

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    Of course, if the music you are listening to is in fact a collection of sound effects, then fine.
    IB
    Surely those too should be reproduced as accurately as possible, otherwise they won't sound as intended.

I'm Sandro.

I think this may be an example of what I meant when I said, upthread, that some appear to want to listen to music as if it were a collection of sound effects, rather than notes of varying duration and pitch. Of course, if the music you are listening to is in fact a collection of sound effects, then fine.
    IB
    Got same sound effects fo ya ATR013 (gogle this up honest)

I'm Sandro.

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    Got same sound effects fo ya ATR013 (gogle this up honest)
    https://www.discogs.com/Gregorio-Pan...elease/3222162

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Surely those too should be reproduced as accurately as possible, otherwise they won't sound as intended.
    Absolutely.
    IB

I'm Sandro.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Could my FiFI make sound like live plastic ruler whack on table ?

I'm Gary.

That looks really interesting!
    Worth a punt?
    IB

I'm Sandro.

You bet
    There are same sound files on that page (quality no so good) and is on Spotify
    But the ART013LP is probably the best record I have now
    sound effects are real good dig in there and there is a whip that will startle you and what I believe a big V6 ? V8 going around for a spin
    Be warned if your FiFI is not up to it one may decide to sell the children's in order to make same improvements.

I'm Gary.

Absolutely.
    IB
    Sorry. I realise this is an unhelpful reply, and doesn't really seem to fit with the point I am making. I think that is because it's all a bit paradoxical: if you want to listen to music that sounds unnatural, or has unnatural elements in it, then yes of course you need a system that is capable of reproducing all that unnatural-ness in the recording. But there is a sort of thrill that you get when you experience this kind of sound and I don't think it is necessarily to do with musical enjoyment. I think it is what Pharos, upthread, referred to as "vulgar" and Vandergraf called "instant gratification". I think they are right. So the problem comes when the listener starts to get addicted to those unnatural sounds and expects and wants to hear everything sounding like it is on steroids - because that "hi-fi" sound is so seducing. He (or she) is going to want to build a system to suit - all slam and tinkling detail and gut wobbling LF. That's fine - it's a free country and it's no skin off my nose. But I just can't help thinking that it's a bit of a corruption of the pursuit of high fidelity musical enjoyment.

I'll get me coat ...
    IB

I'm Martin.

I think any presentation, so long as it is not full of distortion, is valid. We all have our idea of what a hi-fi system should sound like, and we pursue it. Those ideas seem to vary quite widely between individuals. I mean, I find electrostatics and panels interesting to listen to, but I don't think I could live with them. But some will argue they are the closest we can get to 'accurate' speakers.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast