+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What gives a system slam and dynamics?

I'm Rohan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post

We are I'm afraid in an age in which loud, effusive, aggressive and ultimately vulgar, are reigning, because they arouse the internal threat instinct and attract attention. The days of subtlety, finesse and refinement seem to be over.

This principle has been being applied to food as well, more and more sources included which sere the senses.

But I agree that the system should reproduce what the recording has on it, and not add anything.
    I agree 100%. Natural scale isn't considered "normal" now, in so many fields. I'd add "instant gratification" to your list of modern motivators....

For me, the dream is scale and slam but at relatively low SPL, say 70ish dB at 1m. How do you achieve it, if at all? What is best- in my head for some unproven reason I'm imagining high sensitivity speakers with big drivers and a fairly flat low end frequency response. If anyone has some advice to give...

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
    I agree 100%. Natural scale isn't considered "normal" now, in so many fields. I'd add "instant gratification" to your list of modern motivators....

For me, the dream is scale and slam but at relatively low SPL, say 70ish dB at 1m. How do you achieve it, if at all? What is best- in my head for some unproven reason I'm imagining high sensitivity speakers with big drivers and a fairly flat low end frequency response. If anyone has some advice to give...
    Tannoys mate. Try and hear some

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post

pretty much what I would say. Except you want the FR tilted up a bit from the low bass to the mid-bass to allow for Fletcher-Munson. The 'House Curve'. And then you need to move air, quickly and effortlessly.

For me I don't see why, on paper at least, a system cannot do that and also deliver delicacy and musicality.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

I wonder if a way of getting a large sense of scale is about moving air, but not just bass, mid bass and mid, hence why some speakers have multiple bass and mid drivers. However, I suspect that the price you pay for that is speaker efficiency, which is also something that helps with delivering a big sound. I guess there are a few ways to skin the cat, each with compromises.
    ~Paul~

I'm Martin.

Not really. The bigger you get and the more drivers you have, the more efficient you get. As long as you keep the drivers light.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Sandro.

Fun tread, same tought...
    IMO big drivers Low frequency you do not listen to it whit ears they hit U on tummy

Big driver bas reflex = slow small drivers long throw= fast (EG gogle up Ophidian)
    Small drivers no low frequency
    Das drum sound like Pum Pum or better Tum Tum ?

Passive preamplifier should not sound like ... nothing... should just turn down volume Yes?

FiFI should be like close your eyes and musician is right there in your room playing for you.
    Can my FiFI make noise of plastic ruler whack on table ? working on it ...

Do I like VO6 (Catalogue number) wall of sound first thing in the morning, that goes up to 11
    Try this ATR013 LP

I'm Martin.

There's an American speaker I forget the name of but it is a four way and uses a 12 inch for the low bass and a 15 inch for the mid bass - on the grounds that you want the slam from the fifteen in the mid bass and the speedier twelve doing the bottom octaves, so you don't get too much overhang down there and have it slow the whole pace of the music down. That makes sense to me.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    Big driver bas reflex = slow
    Hardly. Have you not heard some big JBL's?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not really. The bigger you get and the more drivers you have, the more efficient you get. As long as you keep the drivers light.
    I that case something like this should do it

~Paul~

I'm Sandro.

Yes been I while (30+ years) and can't remember model at the same time I was moving around 68 Kw of electrovoice and tanoys
    PS my post is just a collection of toughts I had while reading this tread I am not looking for conflict just brain farting on the fly
    If they make tum tum sound instead of Pum pum they JBL are ok by me.
    Old brain fart Mia Martini at the time wanted Ge be lee (JBL in Italian) PA toke us quite a while to find out WTF she was going on about.
    Same toughts I keep for myself ( I wish my ex GF was as loud as 70 dB ( which is not loud at all) (got to measure the fridge and that is pretty much there IMO)
    But if one like to do the mat (My mat is worse than my spelling BTW) 3dB increase is double the volume so 86dB speakers at 1W 16 dB difference got to divide 1 watt by 2 about 5 times

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast