+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What gives a system slam and dynamics?

I'm Steve.

Default What gives a system slam and dynamics?

Is it all out power and a speaker that shifts air or is there more to it than that? Is can it be achieved with high sensitive speakers and a lower powered amp?

I'm Alan.

Current delivery and adequate headroom to accommodate musical peaks.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Current delivery and adequate headroom to accommodate musical peaks.
    spot on,along with some air shifting drivers to

I'm Martin.

Lots of cone area and the ability to move it very quickly will give you slam. I'd say high efficiency speakers with a suitable amp would be optimal for slam. Think of your classic JBL or Klipsch. They may not have the deepest bass but the 'slam' isn't in the deep bit.

'Dynamics' seems to mean a lot of different things to different people. Are you meaning dynamic range? Or 'dynamics' as in the system can go from quiet to all-out very quickly and effortlessly? Or something else?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Large speakers with plenty of amplification which can control and drive them.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Think of your classic JBL or Klipsch. They may not have the deepest bass but the 'slam' isn't in the deep bit.
    My current speakers (Efficient 10" 2-way with horn loaded compression driver) have an f3 (-3db) point of 55hz and when I watch Harry potter movies with my son, the sound Is very powerful and dynamic. It sounds very similar to our local cinema but without hurting your ears.

You'd think there was a hidden subwoofer when watching the Whomping Willow scene - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJgsaWD3prs - Glass breaking Is also very powerful, but you'd never guess If you only listened to music.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    ... Glass breaking Is also very powerful, but you'd never guess If you only listened to music.
    And that is as it should be. Acoustically produced music doesn't sound like film sound effects. I am inclined to think that our quest for "seismic" bass, visceral "slam" and exaggeratedly defined detail and soundstaging is the wrong way to go in assembling a music replay system. Live music does not, for the most part, sound like that. There appears to be a growing preference among audiophiles to listen to music as if it were a collection of sound effects. That's OK of course if you listen to nothing but electronica. Otherwise, it's not good.
    IB

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    And that is as it should be. Acoustically produced music doesn't sound like film sound effects. I am inclined to think that our quest for "seismic" bass, visceral "slam" and exaggeratedly defined detail and soundstaging is the wrong way to go in assembling a music replay system. Live music does not, for the most part, sound like that.
    IB
    But if "seismic" bass, visceral "slam" and exaggeratedly defined detail and soundstaging' is on the recording you want the system to be able to do it properly. Reproducing (well) a good recording of a bloke strumming a lute is easy by comparison.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    But if "seismic" bass, visceral "slam" and exaggeratedly defined detail and soundstaging' is on the recording you want the system to be able to do it properly. Reproducing (well) a good recording of a bloke strumming a lute is easy by comparison.
    True ... but I suppose my point is that you don't really get those kind of sounds in music other than electronica, whereas I have the distinct feeling that many in the audiophile community aspire to making all music sound like that. It's the auditory equivalent to Photoshopping an image created by Rembrandt into a cartoon. Like I said, it's fine if the music in question actually sounds like that in the first place.
    IB

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    True ... but I suppose my point is that you don't really get those kind of sounds in music other than electronica, whereas I have the distinct feeling that many in the audiophile community aspire to making all music sound like that. It's the auditory equivalent to Photoshopping an image created by Rembrandt into a cartoon. Like I said, it's fine if the music in question actually sounds like that in the first place.
    IB
    These are people you know then? Or are you talking about the trend towards DSP and lots of subwoofers?
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast