+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Floorstanding Speaker Dampening (Klipsch KG4.5)

I'm Paul.

Default Floorstanding Speaker Dampening (Klipsch KG4.5)

Afternoon All, this is more of a; can you give me your stoke of genius, than one I am offering myself so hopefully I'm in the right?

I live in a 1st floor flat and I own a pair of hefty Klipsch KG4.5's. If you're not aware of these speakers they are floorstanders with a 10" woofer and they produce deep bass when the music calls for it. Each enclosure sits on four flat bottomed stumpy wooden feet with no spikes and are sitting directly onto an underlayed carpet which in turn sits on a concrete floor.

Most of the time I listen at reasonable levels and I'm happy with the sound they produce but there are times (and there are always times) when I really want to hear what my system is capable of. At these times I worry for my downstairs neighbours

Will raising the speakers off the floor either on spikes or a stone plinth help with dampening the bass transfer to my floor / their ceiling or is the whole room acting as a boom box. If doing this also tightens the bass up as a consequence then that would also be an added bonus.

I'm Geoff.

Your carpet provides a little bit of decoupling from the floor beneath. The extra mass of stone plinths is likely to reduce the existing limited decoupling, but will raise the speakers which may help a bit.

Using spikes will couple the speakers directly to the floor and may just make things worse.

If it was me, I'd try short wood plinths with isolating pads on top (sorbothane?). Bass frequencies are difficult to control, but some isolation from the floor may help.

I'm Paul.

Thanks Geoff, I'll give that a go. I'm guessing any type of hard wood would be best? I'll look into the sorbothane pads too!

I'm Dennis.

I've used 10mm EDPM sheet between the speaker bottom and granite plinths to decouple the speakers from the floor.

I doubt that the plinth principle will have much effect with your concrete floor, but the rubber might well help decouple.

I'm Chris.

Does a concrete floor really reverb that much? What can you hear from their side?

My brother lives in a stone semi-detached cottage with a wooden floor and he can have his gear really loud and you can't hear a thing next door (we didn't believe it at first). Stuff, like walls and floor have to move to transmit sound. At least, that was my conclusion after the experiment at my Bros house. His walls are about 20 inches thick.

Maybe go round the neighbours for a coffee and test it (while they are still friendly ).

I'm Paul.

Even if the plinth is sitting on say 40cm square of carpet? At the mo 4 small wooden feet are taking the load into the carpet/underlay and then onto the concrete floor so if this can be spread wouldn't that help with the low frequency transfer to below? I dunno it hurts my head thinking about it

I'm Paul.

Chris , this is the real crux of the matter. It's just one of them conversations that will either make my day or make me turn around with tears in my eyes. At least now I don't know if they are cursing my existance every time I crank the volume and as they say igonorance is bliss.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    Chris , this is the real crux of the matter. It's just one of them conversations that will either make my day or make me turn around with tears in my eyes. At least now I don't know if they are cursing my existance every time I crank the volume and as they say igonorance is bliss.
    LOl. Can you hear anyone else's noise? I have lived with the same problem for years.

I'm Paul.

I should've said ealier; I hear every footstep from above (but being an impact sound rather than a musical sound I've sort of discounted that) Never hear any muscial bass notes from above but maybe they haven't got anything that can produce such things!

On the occasional Fri or Sat night I do get a bass thud from the very people I am worried about below but this is few and far between and from music that is played at much louder volumes than I am talking about. Would love to know how my system transfers to below but just don't have the guts to front it out.

Could always pretend I'm from noise polution dept at the council and see how they react to that? Gotta be almost legal hasn't it!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    Could always pretend I'm from noise polution dept at the council and see how they react to that? Gotta be almost legal hasn't it!
    It's 15 years imprisonment for impersonation of a government official, but in my view worth the chance of capture and torture - you need to know, Paul

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast