+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC 6 Music, Deceased - 'An Act Of Cultural Vandalism'?

I'm Nick.

Default BBC 6 Music, Deceased - 'An Act Of Cultural Vandalism'?

It looks like BBC 6 Music is going to be the biggest victim of the current cutbacks at the beeb. While I'm not a big music radio listener, and disliked the fact that 6 Music was only available on digital services, it was definitely filling a hole left by likes of John Peel and the once 'serious' Radio 1. If nothing else it surfaced a number of amazing session rebroadcasts that everyone thought were lost (think the rebroadcast of John Peel's first Top Gear show a few years ago - a holy grail for Floyd collectors amongst others).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardia...cancel-6-music
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ChrisB.

Well, we were all told that digital radio would be better because of the choice it could offer and as we all know, the quality of digital sound is far superior.

The quality has always been crap & now they're removing the choice. Lowest common denominator broadcasting - that' what the people want!

disliked the fact that 6 Music was only available on digital services
    Ahh! that explains it. I've scanned the airwaves on occasions both at home and in the car but never come across it, so I naturally thought it was an AM only station like Radio 5.

Maybe if they'd broadcast on FM more people would have heard it and listened to it?

Sorry, but I won't miss something I (and probably half the country) have never heard, so couldn't care less if they get rid of it.

Kris.

I'm ChrisB.

Maybe if they'd broadcast on FM more people would have heard it and listened to it?
    I believe the thinking was that if they put the juicy stuff on digital, everyone would buy a DAB radio.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

It was the only reason I bought a DAB radio...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

But the data rate was so low on BBC radio 6 and so full of compression that it was difficult to properly hear the often good music played.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Ralph.

If it does go I for one will miss the Freak Zone and the Funk 'n Soul Show, surely they could find room for these on R3 and R2 respectively?

I'm Dan.

I'll miss the adam and joe show.... funny chaps.

I'm Ralph.

I'm Jason.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_bbc/?vl

If you feel strongly about it, shout. I've signed. I don't listen to Asian Network, or 6 music (lousy DAB reception here) but I feel strongly that the Beeb shouldn't pander to the lobbying of the Murdoch empire; given their way the Beeb would be broken up and sold to the highest bidder...

Jason
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast