+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Impulse H2 Speakers (RFC Refurbished)

I'm James.

Default Impulse H2 Speakers (RFC Refurbished)

Hi all,

After much consideration I’ve decided to sell my beloved Impulse H2 speakers. These speakers were in a bad way when I purchased them, which is why I sent them to Paul Coupe at RFC who did a stunning job of refurbishing them. Paul documented the refurbishment of these speakers on his website:

http://www.referencefidelitycomponen...-loudspeakers/

There was a significant amount of work done to restore these speakers to better than new condition. I recommend following the link above, where Paul has documented the step-by-step restoration process. They have a NOS Seas mid driver and the original Focal tweeter has been replaced with a Seas unit. The sides are finished in a beautiful oak veneer and all the cloth was replaced, including the grills.

These speakers have external crossovers and Paul used high quality parts throughout.

I’ve owned these speakers for two and a half years. In that time I’ve had ART Alnico 8 speakers and Tune Audio Prime’s side-by-side with my H2’s in my listening room. The H2’s to my ears are better than both of these speakers. I have driven them with my OTO Phono SE Signature amp (10w) and a First Watt VFET amp (20w) with great results. Gone is the tough amplifier load that the original crossover presented.

Cosmetically there are a couple of points to note:

1). On one of the grills, two out of the three pegs have snapped off. I’ll try and source replacements in the meantime.
    2). In loading the speakers into my car, I have managed to chip the veneer on one of the speaker sides. It’s at the back of the speaker and not visible unless you look closely. I’ve not measured it but I estimate it’s 5mm at most.
    3). The top plate on the mid-horns move slightly if pressure is applied to them. This is something to watch if they’re going to be put on their back for transportation, otherwise it’s not an issue as they’re held firmly in place by the cloth.

I could wax lyrical about how brilliant these speakers sound, but I’ll let your ears be the judge, by way of a demo if you’re interested. The only reason I’m selling is because I am considering a pair of Paul’s Tannoy-based speakers. Otherwise they would be staying put .

I’m looking for £1600, collected from Solihull in the West Midlands. They weigh a ton so there’s no chance of posting them.

Last edited by Brumjam; 07-01-2018 at 23:57.

I'm Phil.

ah beautiful speakers , many have heard these thanks to the great bakeoffs held there . they will not be available for long me thinks
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Ian.

I've seen and heard these quite a few times, including pre-upgrade, and they are excellent speakers; Paul at RFC did a wonderful job with them both in terms of the rebuild and the voicing. They are a bargain at this price.

I'm Geoff.

Really could do with better pictures. Those are pretty bad.

I've done what I can with one, but it's still not great.

lordmortlock Guest

Superb speakers, and James is a great guy to deal with. Buy with complete confidence!

I'm James.

Thanks Guys.

Geoff - photos should be showing correctly now.

I'm Adrian.

I will vouch for the Impulse H2's, having purchased a very good pair last October, mine have just had the driver foams refurbished and crossovers checked over.

They are a superb sounding speaker and very efficient, so if you want a great natural sound these are a must listen to. I previously had Wilson Benesch Arc's in my set up, also very good but the low mid to bass just excels on the H2's, which you would expect for a large speaker.

Good luck with the sale.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Philip.

I'm Phil.

you can see them here after they were refurbished by paul

IMG_9922-679x1024 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/]s/url], on Flickr

and here they are next to my beloved rienzi which are for sale elsewhere [ not by me ]

IMG_9969-625x1024 by , on Flickr

http://www.referencefidelitycomponen...-loudspeakers/
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm James.

Hi Jack, I’ve sent you a couple of PM’s in response to your enquiry. Let me know if my PM’s aren’t reaching you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast