+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tannoy Turnberry SE with Croft 25/7 or Radford STA15

I'm Ales.

Default Tannoy Turnberry SE with Croft 25/7 or Radford STA15

Hello,
    I'm from Slovenia and I enjoy my Tannoy Turnberry SE loudspeakers in medium room, listening to jazz and blues on medium level. I'm running now speakers with vintage Luxman L-510. I'm asking this forum for advice, how to improve sound of Tannoy's with Croft 25/7 pre and amp combination or Croft 25R/7R, or buy refurbished Radford STA15 Mark3 with possibility to add Radford SC 22 preamp. Any other good combination of amplifier and Tannoy's? Thanks for advice.

I'm James.

I have tried the Croft R series with 12"Monitor Golds and HPDs and tbh wasn't that blown away, though I like the amps. My money would be on the Radford STA15 or ideally STA25 which are known good pairings.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    I have tried the Croft R series with 12"Monitor Golds and HPDs and tbh wasn't that blown away, though I like the amps. My money would be on the Radford STA15 or ideally STA25 which are known good pairings.

Totally agreed. STA25 is perfect or something from EAR (not the 859 or 869 which are single ended but almost any of the others would work well).

I'm Ales.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Totally agreed. STA25 is perfect or something from EAR (not the 859 or 869 which are single ended but almost any of the others would work well).
    Thanks for responses. So major support is for combination Tannoy Turnberry SE with Radford STA valve amplifier. Unfortunately, I can get only STA 15. Any experience with such combination? Has STA 15 enough power for Tannoy's? What about preamp? Which has good synergy with Radford STA 15 or 25?

I'm Dave.

I've often used Croft amps with various Tannoy speakers, vintage and new, including the Turnberry. You will have no problems at all using Croft.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by opt817 View Post
    Thanks for responses. So major support is for combination Tannoy Turnberry SE with Radford STA valve amplifier. Unfortunately, I can get only STA 15. Any experience with such combination? Has STA 15 enough power for Tannoy's? What about preamp? Which has good synergy with Radford STA 15 or 25?
    Sensitivity is 93dB so I'd say an STA15 would be ample unless you listen a long way from the speakers. For 1 watt of power you'd get levels of about 80db sat 4 metres (12 feet) away. 80db is plenty. You won't want to play louder than that unless you are a bit deaf. Or nuts. And you still have the rest of the power output in reserve to handle peaks.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

I doubt you will need a gain stage at all (you will more likely need to reduce volume) so a simple passive attenuator, or digital volume control if you are using cd/computer as a source. Use your funds to get the nice Radford amp, lovely things and a decent investment . Old pre amps, 1960s and before, are a lot less lovely, actually most of them that I have heard are junk sound-wise.

I'm Ales.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    I doubt you will need a gain stage at all (you will more likely need to reduce volume) so a simple passive attenuator, or digital volume control if you are using cd/computer as a source. Use your funds to get the nice Radford amp, lovely things and a decent investment . Old pre amps, 1960s and before, are a lot less lovely, actually most of them that I have heard are junk sound-wise.

What about SS amplifiers which will drive Tannoy Turnberry SE with highest slam and dynamics? In which direction to look - class A amplifers?

I'm Geoff.

Creek Destiny 2 integrated. Uncoloured, ultra transparent and powerful. It sounds quite remarkable.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by opt817 View Post
    What about SS amplifiers which will drive Tannoy Turnberry SE with highest slam and dynamics? In which direction to look - class A amplifers?
    I would say that's really not what the Turnberry is about. I would look for a 30-plus watt push pull valve amp myself that'll give you all the slam and dynamics you need.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast