+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tannoy Turnberry SE with Croft 25/7 or Radford STA15

I'm Ales.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I would say that's really not what the Turnberry is about. I would look for a 30-plus watt push pull valve amp myself that'll give you all the slam and dynamics you need.
    Can you give me some good exapmples of such 30 plus watt push pull valve amps with great synergy with Tannoy's. What about Dynaco ST70?

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by opt817 View Post
    Can you give me some good exapmples of such 30 plus watt push pull valve amps with great synergy with Tannoy's. What about Dynaco ST70?
    I think I did already - Radford STA25 (which despite the name has 35w). Most stuff from EAR. There are lots of others. I havent played with a Dynaco myself.

I'm Mike.

The Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP Integrated I had on demo was superb on my Tannoy Berkeley ( 15" HPD ).

So much so that when I was offered the Power Amp version at a good price I got it as an Xmas pressie from my wife

I'm Ales.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    The Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP Integrated I had on demo was superb on my Tannoy Berkeley ( 15" HPD ).

So much so that when I was offered the Power Amp version at a good price I got it as an Xmas pressie from my wife
    Thanks for great inputs. Radford is very expensive and almost unobtanium, especially STA 25, so I'll try with Dynaco ST 70, which will be renovated. I'll report my experience with it.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by opt817 View Post
    Thanks for great inputs. Radford is very expensive and almost unobtanium, especially STA 25, so I'll try with Dynaco ST 70, which will be renovated. I'll report my experience with it.
    If you email Glenn Croft at glenn@croftacoustics.co.uk he will be able to build you a power amp suitable for driving the Tannoys. Other folk on here have had great success driving Tannoys with Croft amps but I believe they were slightly reduced power and built to order by Glenn.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Dave.

As stated earlier, I have been using various Croft amps with numerous Tannoy speakers over the decades and all worked perfectly and without any modification. Tannoys are never a difficult load and the Croft amps do the job.

I'm James.

As also stated earlier I used a 25R built by Glen for use with Tannoys, with the premium valve option (and those valves were stonkers), and whilst very good I found other amps that can do better.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    As also stated earlier I used a 25R built by Glen for use with Tannoys, with the premium valve option (and those valves were stonkers), and whilst very good I found other amps that can do better.

But were they more expensive? I feel the OP is on a tighter budget as he stated a Radford is too expensive.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Ales.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post

Which amplifier can be better match for Tannoy's even at higher cost?
    Last edited by opt817; 11-01-2018 at 12:33.

I'm Dave.

At far higher cost, there are many amps better than the Croft but what price are you considering ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast