+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Elsdon Wonfor Audio M50

I'm tony.

Default Elsdon Wonfor Audio M50

I managed to acquire a EWA M50 yesterday in a shady lay bye exchange with Mikey b.

It has took months of careful negotiation to prise it from his mits....he even threatened at one point to turn it into a footstool rather than part with it-cruel to say the least!!

Got it plumbed in yesterday poured a bourbon and waited for it to get some heat in it.

Initially I thought my drink had been spiked with LSD the soundstage with my 57s has completely changed both horizontal expansion and a depth and holographic image im just not used to.

I checked the wiring wasnt in phase...it just sounded so different.

The soundstaging is laser like accurate/pin pointing of instraments but what really baked my noodle was the sensation i was listening to cans.

It provides that level of detail and insight.

If anything I would say the sound surpasses that of my headphones (hd700/650).

57s have theyre well documented limitations but the M50 has got them singing like nothing ive heard before.

There is only so much John Martyn my good lady can endure....the Hi Fi went off and I had to endure a girly movie to bring balance to the force.

Listening as I type it really is a exponential jump in performance for me....Im well chuffed-Thanks Mikie it has went to a good home and will be cared for!

I'm Colin.

Default M100 and M50

So what do you want me to do with the M100 Tony, I am hoping to get it next week.

I'm tony.

Col,
    wrap it up carefully and sprinkle some fairy dust on it....looking forward to getting it.

M100 will be partnered with the black top tq claymore.

M50 with the silver top.

If this is what the m50 can do heaven only knows what the m100 will bring to the party!!!

Ive got some speakers coming soon, looks like they can be bi-amped ----eddingdale mk2 hybrids that Colin Topps has kindly voiced for ss for me.

If i run the m100 on the pre out can i still use the tq power section to bi-amp?

I'm Mike.

That sounds like a great match Tony, another brilliant bargain I've given away, there must be something wrang wi ma ears or summit

I'm tony.

Jedi mind tricks....these arent the amps your looking for mikey-move along.

Im worried youve turned to the dark side.......toobs, much danger is theyre!!!!

I'm Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post

Ive got some speakers coming soon, looks like they can be bi-amped ----eddingdale mk2 hybrids that Colin Topps has kindly voiced for ss for me.
    TONY,
    yes the speakers are wired such that they can be bi-amped. Though to honest I have never felt the need to do so with the Edingdale speakers.
    Just for the record the speakers sound just as stunningly good with both valve and SS amps. During the testing they were ran on my Nick Gorham 300B SET's, Conrad-Johnson LP66SS2, Musical Fidelity A300 and my Longdog P6 Mosfet amps. So they will work equally good on most any amp you throw at them.

As an aside your speakers are now fully finished and ready for delivery/collection/meet at midway location. I'll email you to make arrangements to suit.

I'm tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppsy View Post
    TONY,
    yes the speakers are wired such that they can be bi-amped. Though to honest I have never felt the need to do so with the Edingdale speakers.
    Just for the record the speakers sound just as stunningly good with both valve and SS amps. During the testing they were ran on my Nick Gorham 300B SET's, Conrad-Johnson LP66SS2, Musical Fidelity A300 and my Longdog P6 Mosfet amps. So they will work equally good on most any amp you throw at them.

As an aside your speakers are now fully finished and ready for delivery/collection/meet at midway location. I'll email you to make arrangements to suit.
    Thanks Colin,

I will experiment with bi-amping and report back my findings and of course a wee review when i get my head round them.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Thanks Colin,

I will experiment with bi-amping and report back my findings and of course a wee review when i get my head round them.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread