+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Denon 103SA

I'm jamie.

im listening to the SA using the alphason,the zeta is boxed up to be re wired and checked over by J7.
    at 11g the alphason isn't the best arm to use it on but with the heavier counter weight and 6g on the headshell it sounding might fine.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    well im certainly not sitting here thinking wheres all the detail gone? so what gives? all i can think of right now is the profile of the diamond is not the be all and end all.
    You might be right there mate. Couldn't here much difference in detail between the Decca gold & Blue

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes. JVC's 'CD-4 Discrete' if I recall was one system (were there other record ones?). The fine Shibata stylus edge being needed to read the carrier signal modulations for quadrophonic rear infomation as well as the front stereo signal. I remember quad purposed Shibata stylus cartridges being slated for being too ruthless at the top end when playing regular steroe records.
    It was precisely the JVC X-1 cartridge I had in mind. Whilst I shouldn't let it prejudice my choice of stylus profile, based on my experience with the X-1, I would need to be convinced the "ruthless top end" is not down to the Shibata profile. I read similar comments in connection with the Denon 103S, also fitted with a Shibata stylus.

I have at least five cartridges fitted with a spherical tipped stylus. All are quite detailed, and depending on vintage, most have a reasonably clean top end. The only advantage of using an elliptical or fine line stylus is the reduction of 'end of side distortion'.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Whether it sounds good or not there's no doubting it's a fine looking thing!

I'm Kai.

From the specs (14 ohms vs 40 ohms coil impedance) it looks like it's based on the 103R type of generator (which I *think* debuted in the 80s with DL-103LC or such)? There's been a ridiculous amount of "special" 103 versions and limited editions over the years, right up to models like 103M which seem to have very little to do with the original (though by all accounts an excellent cartridge), besides perhaps the basic magnetic design I suppose.

Btw. DL-103S & DL-103D were in production the same time and by the looks of it were closely related models, with the D being a bit more expensive. Denon isn't very forth coming about actual tip profiles, but seems to refer to most everything by "special elliptical" which I've always taken to perhaps possibly mean some kind of line-contact type of thing. It seems the main difference between 103S and 103D was the latter having slightly higher compliance, better channel separation and a tip with tinier shank dimensions. But it seems likely the actual tip profile was the same, or if one was elliptical and one was line-contact, then probably 103D would be the line-contact since it was the more expensive one.

Anyway congrats on the new cart, the 103SA certainly looks very nice and like most special editions it seems like the rebodying was already done at the factory Would be interesting to hear how it compares to stock 103 and 103R if you ever get to hear them in the same system.

I'm jamie.

another part of the puzzle has arrived
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

Looks a bit like one of my old ones. Most came with DIN connections which I converted to RCA phono.

Bigman80 Guest

Looks tidy!

I'm jamie.

well its a 'dip my toe' before i try something more expensive,at £60 it was worth a punt and it seems to have done the trick,it has brought the volume up from the nakamichis mc stage,hard to say its better right now,its certainly not worse so thats positive.
    now the question is how much better is it once recapped and modded?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    well its a 'dip my toe' before i try something more expensive,at £60 it was worth a punt and it seems to have done the trick,it has brought the volume up from the nakamichis mc stage,hard to say its better right now,its certainly not worse so thats positive.
    now the question is how much better is it once recapped and modded?
    Lol, well you'll have to find out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast