+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quad Z2

I'm Robert.

Default Quad Z2

Hi,
    Bob here from the USA. I just purchased a pair of Quad Z2 speakers solely on recommendations, and reviews of the Z1, Z3, and Z4. I know, I know...it could be rather insane of me to do so. However, these speakers are not carried by many US dealers and no one within 600 miles of me has any that I can listen to. The dealer who sold me the speakers is giving me 30 days to try them at home and should I not like them, I can return but shipping is on me.
    So, with all of that said, is anyone using them, and if so, what are your impressions, and too, what amp or amps are you using? I will have the ability to us either tubes or solid state and the amps are of high quality which from what I read give even better results with the Z series speakers.
    Thank you...

I'm Guy.

I have been running the S-2 for the last year, I was so impressed with them I actually sold my Meridian DSP5200s and bought a pair of Z3s for the other room.

They were good, very good, but I actually felt they didn't offer much over the S2s. I wish I had tried the Z2s instead of the floorstander.

I ran them with a Bel Canto, Quad 405-2 and Quad 909and liked the 405-2 best of all.

I have still got the S2s and love them, still running them with the 405-2 and Rel Strata and think it is the best value hifi I have ever owned.
    Sitting Room - Volumio- Tidal - Raspberry Pi with Khadas Tone Board - Marantz PM7003 - Spendor S6e + Rel Strata.
    TV Room - Arcam Solo Movie + Mission 752s + Mission 75c + Rel Strata.

I'm Robert.

Thank you for that. The dealer had a good deal on the Z2 in piano black, $1600 USD out the door. He took some other equipment of mine in trade, gave me a fair price so the Z2 speakers set me back $250 USD. They are arriving on the 9th of January. I am expecting a rather long run-in period so when that is all said and done, I plan on posting something so others my learn from what I have experienced. The dealer, who I have known for several years, is not one for hyperbole, and if something is not good, he lets me know. He though the Z2 was the unspoken champ of the line so we shall see.
    Thank you again for your insight. My Z2's will be driven (at different times of course) by either a pair of Lumley Signature 150 monoblocks, or a BAT VK-500 amp; one set being tubes and the other solid state, even though the BAT is the most tube-like solid state amp I have heard.
    I wish there were more Quad dealers in my area, and also those who would have some S series and Z series speakers available for listening. All the Quad dealers in my area have the large panel speakers or the Classic series and nothing more...

I'm Robert.

The Quad Z2 speakers arrived yesterday and I was not able to get them set up until 9 p.m. Pacific Time. I ran them until 2 a.m, and I started again this morning at 10 a.m. I admit I am actually surprised how good these sound so early in the run-in period. I am using tubed monoblocks with these as well as Grover Huffman EX speaker cables. So far, and I know it is early in the "game", but I am impressed with the very "real" feel that I am getting from these. There is a great impression of being there, and there are two words that keep coming into my mind when I listen; "clear", and "smooth". I do not mean smooth as in sweet or the diminishing of detail, not at all. But "smooth" in that the music seems to flow naturally, and draws one in. The "clear" too, is not a hard or extremely detailed sound. There is detail, yes, but not where the detail outweighs the overall presentation of the music.
    More as the speakers get more time on them, but so far, color me impressed!

+ Reply to Thread