+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Q Acoustics 3050 speaker

I'm steve.

Default Q Acoustics 3050 speaker

The 3050s arrived at lunchtime today and are now setup in the bedroom, I’m certainly glad they came in separate boxes as it was a hard enough job getting one up the stairs.
    As expected, from other users comments, they didn’t sound good straight out of the box, rather thick and bloated would be the best description. Thankfully that was short lived and by the time an hour had passed they were already starting to sound very good.
    For someone like myself who has never owned a large floor stander with multiple drive units the 3050s are a bit of a culture shock, although the bass on my Jordans is tight, fast and extended there is no way it can match the punch of the 3050s twin bass drivers which can just shift so much air at low frequencies so effortlessly.
    One of the first test tracks I played was the theme tune from Twin Peaks by Angelo Badalamenti, the melody is played quite forcefully on electric bass guitar, to my amazement I noticed that there was a low level kick drum underlying the bass guitar, none of my previous speakers ever managed to pick that kick drum out, impressive !! They aren’t just about the bass as the midband and treble aren’t too shabby either, although as expected the 3050s can’t match the midband transparency of my Jordans, but then again very few speakers can. The treble is sweet and clean and not overly prominent.
    Being out of the house for the rest of the day till late I’ve left the 3050s playing on shuffle play to help run them in a bit more so no doubt they could sound better when I next have a listen. Just as a matter of interest the low frequency sweep test shows the 3050s bass cutoff in my room is at about 35hz which I think is low enough to satisfy most bass heads.
    I think for the money they have to be classed as a bargain, I’m happy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by steve-z; 10-01-2018 at 18:08.

I'm Chris.

Glad about it. They get sweeter over time too. The tip you gave about those banana plugs was great: perfect for the job. Cheers - and happy listening!

Location: Dutch now living in Milton Keynes in the United Kingdom

I'm Rob.

I am happy with that comment, I was not sure where we exactly stood with the quality, my previous speakers were Magnat all ribbon 8's they were about 30 years old, we saw the advert and the reviews and by impulse we went to Richer sounds, where we listened to them and I ordered them, sometime it is just time to treat your self, but I don't really know how these speakers compare to the more expensive ones. Chris and me went to the Bristol audio show and we listened to a lot of different systems and I think our systems wouldn't sound bad in comparison to a lot of speakers there, of cause there were way better speakers, but they had a much higher price tag.
    Streaming music from macbook via usb, to a musical fidelity V90 dac, to a Nobsound ns-01P tube pre amp with jj ecc803s gold pin to poweramp arcam Alpha 8 power amp to Q Acoustics 3050 floor standers.
    Favourite music progressive rock.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Tube View Post
    I am happy with that comment, I was not sure where we exactly stood with the quality, my previous speakers were Magnat all ribbon 8's they were about 30 years old, we saw the advert and the reviews and by impulse we went to Richer sounds, where we listened to them and I ordered them, sometime it is just time to treat your self, but I don't really know how these speakers compare to the more expensive ones. Chris and me went to the Bristol audio show and we listened to a lot of different systems and I think our systems wouldn't sound bad in comparison to a lot of speakers there, of cause there were way better speakers, but they had a much higher price tag.
    I think over the last 10 years or so the gap in quality between speakers below £300 and those at close to £1k has narrowed considerably, competition is fierce in the lower market sector and companies like Q Acoustics have really upped the ante as to what sort of sound quality can be achieved without having to spend much money. Older companies with products in the same market sector have been caught with their pants down somewhat by being too complacent and not pushing forward with product development, QA have worked on the premise of market share being more important than profit per unit sold, and it’s worked well for them, particularly as their product development is second to none atm. When you look at the 3050s you’re getting a hell of a lot of speaker for the money. Back in the 1980s I had a pair of Mission 753s, which were a similar size to the 3050s, back then they cost £599, equating that to moneys value today it’s probably equivalent to £2500-£3000 and the drivers in them were dirt cheap.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Glad about it. They get sweeter over time too. The tip you gave about those banana plugs was great: perfect for the job. Cheers - and happy listening!
    I thought you’d find those bananas would do the trick, those are the best I’ve found, must admit I find 90 degree plugs a lot more convenient and tidier particularly if using fairly stiff cables. Will need to order some more if I intend to try bi wiring the QA 3050s.

I'm Geoff.

I favour 'Z' plugs, as per Nordost. They have excellent contact with sockets and can be opened out or closed a bit if need be to make a snug fit.

I'm Tony.

Steve how do they compare to your ADMs ?

I'm steve.

Default Q Acoustics 3050 speaker

Quote Originally Posted by basslover View Post
    Steve how do they compare to your ADMs ?
    My ADM9s were sold on when I got the Jordan VTLs about a year ago, although I had the ADM9s for 10 years thinking they had no peers it was an eye opener when I found something so much better and realised I’d been deluded for so long.
    Listening to them when I’d started using the Jordans really showed them up to be very mid prominent and quite bland with no real bass so they were promptly sold on.
    As to the 3050s they are still breaking in and improving almost hour to hour, the bass is considerably tighter today than yesterday and the overall balance is becoming more open and even, I have done a bit of fine tuning of position today pulling them a couple of inches further from the back wall and adjusting the spikes to tilt the speakers slightly backwards to get the tweeter axis closer to ear level which has helped quite a bit, although I’m expecting they’ll improve more over the next few days. Small stands mounts just can’t compete with these.
    I’m assuming from your question that you know me from a certain other forum ?
    What was your username on there ?

Last edited by steve-z; 11-01-2018 at 18:28.

I'm Tony.

Yes, I posted on HDD as pianoman and nearly bought your 9s (I think..) some years ago as i'm just in Huddersfield, but couldn't decide if they were for me - the 3050s look a real proposition for me as a reasonable size floor stander is what I'm really after. Would a Cyrus 8 (70wpc) drive them ?

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by basslover View Post
    Yes, I posted on HDD as pianoman and nearly bought your 9s (I think..) some years ago as i'm just in Huddersfield, but couldn't decide if they were for me - the 3050s look a real proposition for me as a reasonable size floor stander is what I'm really after. Would a Cyrus 8 (70wpc) drive them ?
    The 3050s are 92db/w so anything from 10-15 watts will get them to decent levels, your Cyrus should be fine. You get a lot for your money with the 3050s but unless you’ve got a big car or a van get them delivered, the boxes are massive.
    If you’ve not done it already check out Martin Colloms review on Hifi Critic, you can get a link from the Q Acoustics website, it’s very in depth and informative, even as they stand at the moment I’d recommend them but I’ve no doubt there’s more to come from them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast