+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Raymond Lumley amps - can anyone help?

I'm Robert.

Yes, Analysis Audio! Thank you!
    I heard a pair of the Omegas I believe it was once at an audio show. Having only heard my own Stages and my friend's Divas, I cannot say for certain if they were like most Apogee products but I do recall that I liked what I heard. I was not too happy with the price tag, and the missus was shocked as well. I spent some time convincing her that the Stages that I had owned were not anywhere near the price that Analysis Audio was charging. Not knowing all the particulars of the Omegas, I do recall the Divas having three distinct sections, one large panel and two smaller narrow ribbons. The Omegas I saw looked somewhat like Stages on steroids. I will have to contact Analysis Audio and see, 1) if I get a response and 2) where there might be a dealer near me. Looking at their website, I see that they list a more "friendly" load for amps to drive compared to the Apogees of yore...
    As to my friend who had the Divas, it was my understanding that his stepson got mad at him and kicked a hole in what I called the bass panel, for lack of a more technical term. Oh my....

I'm Justin.

The Omega is the equivalent of an Apogee Duetta.

A good pair of Duettas will outperform the Omega. Here is an account of someone who heard a sub-optimal pair of Divas, and a pair of Omegas. He then came round to hear my Duetta based design on the same day (literally an hour after hearing the Omegas).

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...hread-You-bet!

The Omega inspired me to be where I am now. So it does have merit. At one stage I nearly bought a pair of Amphitryons from Tassos Hartzis (his pair). Too huge for my room.

I'm Roy.

Default Lumley M 150 mono blocks

Hello,
    Just seen your post ( 2 years late I know) I now run my pair on KT 88’s rather than the original 6550’s. My engineer when after rebuilding recommended 35 to 40 mA. He said they could be run up to 50 mA but wouldn’t have great longevity. He also said was to use matched quads and keep all at the same bias.

These are one of the best amps I have heard still! I have run several different speaker cables over the years and currently using Tellurium Silver into Scansonic speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by ElTee View Post
    Thank you for the warm welcome I received from others .

As to my first query or posting, it is into the world of tube amps made in the U.K., and that would be those from a man named Raymond Lumley. I own a pair of Raymond Lumley Megavox Signature monoblocks. These are rated at 150 wpc into 8/4 ohm loads. It is a push-pull design with four 6550/KT88 tubes per side, with three 6SN7 tubes are drivers/splitters. I got these as a gift from my wife in 1994. She bought them from a man who moved back to the states from the UK. I have never seen another pair listed for sale or even referred to, at least no one in the USA. I know of some Lumley amps that are in the USA as a friend has a pair of 120 Reference I believe they are called but I have never seen others.
    I am looking for any information as to what happened to Lumley and his amps, any schematics, parts (especially handles) and who knows what else. I have tried several Internet searches but I have never been able to discover much. It is almost as if these amps never existed, and since I know that they do, perhaps existed in very small numbers.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

I'm Roy.

Default Raymond Lumley m150 Signature monoblocks

A little late to this thread so I apologise.
    I purchased a pair of these around 1993 when they were fitted from new with GEC 6550’s, I now run KT 88’s. I auditioned these against the then top of the range Audio Research mono blocks but they didn’t hold a candle to the big Lumleys. Ray Lumley sold the company as stated previously to John Jeffries who went on to produce the 120 monoblocks, speakers and the superb Reference turntable. His later amps were quite different looking beasts. It was reputed that Mr Lumley was made an example of by the tax man. I had quite a few problems in the early days but received a lot of help from John Jeffries who was a true gentleman and they were sorted. I have run them with big Audio static speakers, Proacs and now Scansonics. They can drive anything, sounding realistic with great depth and a large sound stage.
    After 30 years the engineer who has looked after them for me when required suggested a major rebuild, and I cannot wait to get them back.
    Hope this helps!

I'm Mark.

Hi Robert,

Hope you have found the answers you needed, I owned Lumley Reference M120's monobloc's for many years they were manufactured and distributed by John Jeffries they were superb and if you kept the valve bias sensible you would get very decent valve life from the 6550's my preference at the time being Sovtek's. I believe John is still very active in the Hi-Fi world and as far as I know these are his best contact details:

https://sussexmusicstudio.co.uk/
    johnjeffries@sussexmusicstudio.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123