+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Raymond Lumley amps - can anyone help?

I'm Justin.

BTW I had an ST70 and the 120 monos driving Martin Logans. I preferred the ST70 by a good margin on those speakers.

I'm gone.

Why was that?

I'm Justin.

The 120s just sounded like the were trying too hard. Like they had this clamp vice like grip and couldn't let go. Dead hard to describe but they just didn't sound natural.

The ST70 I liked really quite a lot. Didn't suffer from the above negative and drove the Aerius really nicely.

I'm Robert.

Hi,
    Jason very well could have been blowing the proverbial sunshine up my behind. I was relatively new to the world of hi end at the time but even a three ohm load is fairly nasty compared to so many of the box speakers of the day (and today). That they (the Lumleys) were able to still drive them and sound good doing so was enough for me. Though there are times I wish I had kept them, it is as you say, a speaker that was doomed once Apogee went the way of the dodo. Even when I had mine there were some maintenance issues as the Mylar in the panels would shift from use. The rear panel of the speaker had to be removed and the "panel" itself had to be re-aligned, tightened or whatever. When driven correctly and with a good front end as well as good cables, they were some excellent transducers....

I'm Robert.

Was there not also a ST75 or am I confused?

I'm Justin.

There was an ST40 which Paul Coupe of RFC used to own. That was very good driving Horning Agathons.

The Stage really did die because of the panel. You can get other Apogees fixed as Graz makes replacement ribbons and brand new Apogee speakers. He owns the name and has refurbishers in various locations around the world. I run some custom built Apogee Duettas which we made quite a few design mods on to improve on the original design.

I'm Robert.

Perhaps my ignorance is showing but hey, I am willing to risk it. I thought there were Apogee "knock-offs" made somewhere in Europe, and for some reason I thought it was in Greece or close by. Other than those, I was not aware of the the Apogee name being sold and bought by another company. I will have to see what there is here in the states but I suspect the current cost would drain the monies set aside for silly things like retirement, food, medicals costs and such.
    A former colleague still owns an original pair of Apogee Divas with the external crossover. I know that he suffered some damage to some panels and was lost as to how to get them repaired. I did send some information and links to him as to some repair possibilities but I have no idea if he took advantage of any of those or not.

I'm gone.

Double post

I'm gone.

The Greek company was (and maybe still is) Analysis Audio. http://www.analysisaudio.com/
    I heard a dem of their Apogee Caliper equivalent, by size, the Epsilon (I used to own Caliper Signatures) and they sounded incredibly similar! Even down to a singularly characteristic midrange colouration (that larger Apogees don't have and that I don't recall hearing in Stages).

Here's the Analysis Omega (the range was mostly named after Greek letters) ...

Last edited by jandl100; 07-01-2018 at 07:39.

I'm Justin.

http://www.apogeeacoustics.com/dealers.html

Try Bill or Rich for your friend assuming he's USA.

That website is old and there is a more up to date Facebook page, but I hate Facebook so no link!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast