+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Raw Water anybody?

I'm Martin.

It isn't really that simple, not when you factor in that states like India and Pakistan spend millions on fighter aircraft and space programs whilst people are dying of dysentery in the streets. I have to say I object to people implying that we in this country have some responsibility for this based on some (largely conflated) colonial exploitation that ceased over 100 years ago.

Just because we are not responsible doesn't mean that we should not help out of course, but I would be more inclined to help out if the indigenous governments of these countries were in the slightest but interested in fixing the problems, or at least were to prioritise them and maybe get round to the space program and the nuclear submarines once they have taken care of their more fundamental responsibilities.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Good reply Martin.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It isn't really that simple, not when you factor in that states like India and Pakistan spend millions on fighter aircraft and space programs whilst people are dying of dysentery in the streets. I have to say I object to people implying that we in this country have some responsibility for this based on some (largely conflated) colonial exploitation that ceased over 100 years ago.

Just because we are not responsible doesn't mean that we should not help out of course, but I would be more inclined to help out if the indigenous governments of these countries were in the slightest but interested in fixing the problems, or at least were to prioritise them and maybe get round to the space program and the nuclear submarines once they have taken care of their more fundamental responsibilities.
    Don't you think that the UK should be prioritising spending on health and social care rather than on its nuclear submarines and a pathetic attempt to play the global superpower.

As to supporting countries like India I think you will find that the UK has been phasing out grant support for several years now and focusing on techical assistance and governance. Also, are you suggesting that India should not be developing its industrial and techical capacity. Surely this is way out of poverty and dependence on external support.

Finally, I am puzzled by your suggestion that developing countries are not committed to developing their social sectors.This is not true. Indeed, it was not that long ago that they were resisting pressure from the World Bank and IMF to slash social spending under the Structural Adjustment Program.

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Don't you think that the UK should be prioritising spending on health and social care rather than on its nuclear submarines and a pathetic attempt to play the global superpower.

As to supporting countries like India I think you will find that the UK has been phasing out grant support for several years now and focusing on techical assistance and governance. Also, are you suggesting that India should not be developing its industrial and techical capacity. Surely this is way out of poverty and dependence on external support.

Finally, I am puzzled by your suggestion that developing countries are not committed to developing their social sectors.This is not true. Indeed, it was not that long ago that they were resisting pressure from the World Bank and IMF to slash social spending under the Structural Adjustment Program.

Geoff
    I don't see the UK as making 'a pathetic attempt to play global superpower'. I think that is a biased perspective. From an objective perspective maintaining a fleet of ballistic missile submarines makes perfect sense. Which is why they do it. We already spend an extraordinary amount of money on social care, several hundred billion pounds a year. The problem there is that due to incompetence and complacency we get poor value for money. A different issue.

I don't think we should be giving any money to India, as a nation at least, whether we give privately is our own personal decision, and the Indians seem to think the same way. I do not see that India is dependant on external financial support, perhaps you have other information? Technical support is another matter.

I am sure there are some developing countries that are committed to developing their social sectors, whatever 'committed' might mean outside of politician-speak. It does seem to me that the majority are too corrupt and too incompetent to resolve these issues. Which is why, as someone pointed out above, we continue to give large sums in donations, both private and public and yet the situation does not seem to improve.

I am quite sure that there is nothing so difficult in those situations that an intervention with, say, a brigade of Gurkhas would not overcome. But that would be seen as 'neo-colonialism' of course, and so is off the cards. That would have been my personal solution to, for example, the Southern Rhodesia situation in '79. Sadly 'modern morality' prevailed leading to the deaths of many hundreds of thousands of people there over the last thirty years.

But that's okay because it means wealthy, middle class, bleeding heart British people can sleep easy in the knowledge that they are 'better than that', and are doing the right thing in leaving these countries to slowly collapse under the weight of incompetence, corruption and ancient tribal conflicts. That is really the important thing for our 'decision makers'. An hypocrisy that is staggering in its sheer fatuousness.

However, I suspect we are quite far apart on these matters.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Simon.

There's deserts in America, they just choose not to live in them. If you don't live near water, move, and don't waste your time breeding. That's the solution to the third worlds water crisis, stop fucking breeding.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Geoff.

You forgot to mention the 'genetic bullet', which everybody strenuously insists as an abandoned and obsolete idea.

(as if............you can bet your life the americans, russians, israeli's, chinese and others have been beavering away behind the scenes working on that one)

I'm Russell.

Some riveting conversation gentlemen, but so far off topic. Yes I will agree that 3rd world people drinking from unsafe sources is a real problem, but that has nothing to do with drinking from a mountain Spring! Is a fresh mountain spring any different from well water? Of course if you extract your water from the creek some miles from the spring, who knows what may be living in it, fish are having sex in that water for heaven sakes! But I drink from well water, most everyone in my county does, directly from the water table, unfiltered and no chemicals added. My father used to own a parcel of land in the foothills of the Mountains of Virginia, and a spring shot forth from a crack in a large rock, a stream about the size of your finger. My brother in law who deals in property values tested the water coming from that spring and it tested the cleanest drinking water he had ever tested anywhere. The whole matter of safe drinking water is to know your source. All of Rome existed on spring water brought in on aqueducts from the mountain tops to the city, for literally hundreds of years. They did not drink from the river that ran through the city, where they dumped their waste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You forgot to mention the 'genetic bullet', which everybody strenuously insists as an abandoned and obsolete idea.

(as if............you can bet your life the americans, russians, israeli's, chinese and others have been beavering away behind the scenes working on that one)
    Its a bit like football. The manager gets a vote of confidence so you know he is getting sacked.. denying there is any way to do something like that means there IS A WAY
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shaun.

The sheer number of begging ads on commercial TV is alarming to me. If the young child is having to walk miles for clean water where the hell is the mother or father..? And whilst we are constantly shown images of dying children, how come the parents look absolutely fine and in good health...? I seriously suspect that most of what we see is led by the media as was that huge hole in the ozone layer that was going to fry us all with cosmic radiation and now...? Strangely, not a mention. Why...? Because the media have now moved on to global warming. Oh no, sorry, they've changed that as well. Is it not now climate change...?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast