+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wall Sockets

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Here's a wee pic, where you'll see the Furutech sockets and (mains plugs) in use on my mains block and digital noise filter:

That was taken in 2012... Things have changed a little since then, as most of my kit is now hard-wired to the incoming mains supply (dedicated spur), so there are no longer any sonically detrimental 13A plugs or plug fuses.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Moses View Post
    I'm having a electrician come in the next week or so to fit me some extra plug sockets. I want about four putting in for my system, I've read somewhere unswitched ones are the way to go.
    Any recommendations guys?
    Explore the possibility and the practicality (and cost) of a dedicated ring main or spur for your audio. I did and thought it a very worthwhile exercise
    NB you must consult a qualified electrician
    Russ Andrews produces an informative leaflet called "The Power and the Glory" which will tell you whats involved
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

Good advice, Martin, and I fully agree. However, unless you hard-wire, you'll still need some good quality wall sockets, preferably ones constructed and optimised for hi-fi purposes

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Good advice, Martin, and I fully agree. However, unless you hard-wire, you'll still need some good quality wall sockets, preferably ones constructed and optimised for hi-fi purposes

Marco.
    Absoutely!

This too re plugs and fuses.............

I must share my most recent upgrade. My cables are from Cardas and Hovland.
    Recently I managed to get my hands on a Cardas Golden Power Cord but with a US mains plug.........the price was very right. I had intended that it should go on the DAC 1 but it proved to be too short.
    So I had a complete powercord change. The Golden Power went on to my Transport, a Cardas Cross onto the DAC and my Golden Cross onto my pre amp.
    So I sat back and listened.........nothing noticeable !!!!
    A couple of days later when all had settled a massive difference in detail retrieval, ambience and particularly low level details I had never heard.
    I cannot remember having such a SQ upgrade
    Some of this may be due to US plugs having no fuse but it certainly helped the ones and zeros
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm John.

I was looking a while back at the Russ Andrews sockets with an earth connection. Has anyone got any experience of these in comparison to the Furutech and Missing Link items already posted?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ovlov854 View Post
    I must share my most recent upgrade. My cables are from Cardas and Hovland.
    Recently I managed to get my hands on a Cardas Golden Power Cord but with a US mains plug.........the price was very right. I had intended that it should go on the DAC 1 but it proved to be too short.
    So I had a complete powercord change. The Golden Power went on to my Transport, a Cardas Cross onto the DAC and my Golden Cross onto my pre amp.
    So I sat back and listened.........nothing noticeable !!!!
    A couple of days later when all had settled a massive difference in detail retrieval, ambience and particularly low level details I had never heard.
    I cannot remember having such a SQ upgrade
    Some of this may be due to US plugs having no fuse but it certainly helped the ones and zeros
    I presume that you also changed the wall socket to US type, in order for said plug to fit?

The removal of the 13A plug fuse is likely to have caused the greatest improvement, but also consider the effect of almost certainly having reduced contact resistance, as in my experience both US and European (Schuko) mains connectors offer a far securer/tighter and more optimal connection, with their respective sockets, than their UK counterparts.

Don't neglect the IEC end, too... Often commercial mains leads will be fitted with no more than adequate, 'fit for purpose' (in an electrical sense only) IEC connectors. Their designs are governed by cost constraints. Upgrading to something, such as this, will have just as big a sonic effect, as you heard with things at the other end of the equation:

https://mcru.co.uk/product/iego-pure...v=79cba1185463 Mark Grant currently has these for sale, see here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...al-offer-price

It's not just about bypassing unnecessary (in the right context) fuses, but also ensuring that everything else in the power supply chain is optimised

Contrary to what some think, cheap 'kettle leads' are not ideal for hi-fi use, and in my experience act as a severe bottle neck, musically, almost as much as plug fuses. Therefore, if you want to go the hardwired route, and remove fuses from the equation, make sure that you also hardwire in place a decent cable [one also optimised for hi-fi purposes]!

Marco.
    Main System

Hi John,

Quote Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
    I was looking a while back at the Russ Andrews sockets with an earth connection. Has anyone got any experience of these in comparison to the Furutech and Missing Link items already posted?
    I've used the RA ones in the past. They're ok, but if you're on a budget, then the Missing Link ones are better

Marco.
    Main System

I'm John.

Hi John,

I've used the RA ones in the past. They're ok, but if you're on a budget, then the Missing Link ones are better

Marco.
    The RA ones are only a bit cheaper - £33 (first time I've ever used the word cheaper in connection with RA ). I liked the idea of the earth connection but I will take your advice re the Missing Link ones if they are better.

Hi John,

The ML sockets offer a tighter and more secure connection, and IMO are generally better made. If you want to experiment with earthing arrangements, and do the job properly, there are far more effective methods available than is offered by a simple terminal on a wall socket.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm John.

Hi John,

The ML sockets offer a tighter and more secure connection, and IMO are generally better made. If you want to experiment with earthing arrangements, and do the job properly, there are far more effective methods available than is offered by a simple terminal on a wall socket.

Marco.
    Thanks Marco. I will definitely get a ML socket then. I may also come back to you for advice on the earthing issue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast