+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tannoy devons

I'm phil.

Default Tannoy devons

I'm thinking of getting some tannoy so seen a pair of devons need new foam surrounds how do these compare to the Cheviots , cheers
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by moodybuilder View Post
    I'm thinking of getting some tannoy so seen a pair of devons need new foam surrounds how do these compare to the Cheviots , cheers
    Exactly the same drivers and crossovers as the HPD Cheviots and sound similar apart from the reduced bass depth, as the Devon cabinet is a bit on the small side for a 12" driver.

As long as the cones are sound, and you have a handy nature, you can change the cone surrounds yourself and save a small fortune. I can advise on doing that should you be interested.

I'm phil.

Thanks for the offer and if I go for them I will be in touch for your advise,
    Cheers,
    Are they best in there original cabinets or would they be better in a 1inch birch ply cabinet made to the same internal measurements as the original.
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Geoff.

The Devons are really standmount speakers, but are a bit compromised at the bottom end due to the limited cabinet volume. In other words, the 12" HPD 315 drivers are crying out for bigger boxes.

Bear in mind that a floorstander, will only take up about the same amount of room as the Devons on stands, so really, building cabinets around the same size as the bigger Cheviots or larger is a sensible option.

An alternative of course, would be to wait for a decent pair of empty Cheviot boxes to turn up on ebay. The drivers and crossovers just drop straight in.

I'm Geoff.

If you are looking at the Devon listings on ebay. You may have noticed that two of the three offerings use the same photos, which is odd and that the third, the highest priced listing, describes them as 'Legacy' models, which they aren't. The Legacy Devon is one of the new Tannoy range and a totally different speaker.

I'm Lawrence.

It's that the bloke who compares them to Legacy prices, makes up a price for an intermediate model that doesn't exist then says his are good value by comparison?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread