+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tannoy Eatons - this is fun!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    montesquieu Guest

Default Tannoy Eatons - this is fun!

The Tannoy Eatons finally arrived from Scotland yesterday and I've had a bit of fun last night and this lunchtime listening.

Lovely nick and the bloke from Shiply seems to have looked after them very well on the journey.

I must say they are rather nice. Proper Tannoy sound, remarkable (clean) bass from modestly sized boxes (well modest in Tannoy DC land anyway). The 10in HPD 295a drivers sound more like Golds to me than later HPDs and from what I've read of the construction, they are indeed the closest to Golds of all the HPDs. They have a sweetness about them that's quite fetching.

The Radford STA25 in the main system drives then beautifully but the 200w Class D in the study manages pretty well too. Nice soundstage, all the usual positive Tannoy attributes of fullness, phase coherence, and so on. A shade less accurate in timbre/more 'vintage' sounding than my 12in HPDs but then again the big ones have some very flash crossovers driving them which breed out much of the Tannoy idiosyncrasy. I suspect a trip to Paul at RFC would even the playing field a bit.

Unfortunately the Eatons are rather too large for my little study - they only fitted because the TT is doing duty in the main system while Russ Collinson makes some changes to the TD124 plinth - so I'm not sure how long they will be staying. I'll take my own pics at some stage but here are from when they were purchased:

I'm Geoff.

Not surprised you like them. As you say, they are a sweet speaker and definitely 'proper' Tannoys.

I'm Richie.

I've just got my Eatons back from Paul. They are really impressive little(!) speakers. Although it is a bit like upgrading knackered suspension on a car (ie - I am not sure how a brand new pair sound), the results from Paul's tinkering was superb. He's a great guy, too. I am sure he spent way more time than he charged for.

His Canterburys are obviously the benchmark. (with a Radford sta25, obvs...)

I'm Geoff.

'Little' is of course a relative term. The Eatons are reasonably large by most folk's standards .

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    'Little' is of course a relative term. The Eatons are reasonably large by most folk's standards .
    Depends on your perspective ... little and large pic had to be done.

Well impressed by the bass on these from 'relatively' small boxes ...

Have to say I'm well impressed by the sweet sound - and it's not a 'small' sound at all.
    Last edited by montesquieu; 03-01-2018 at 18:45.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    I've just got my Eatons back from Paul. They are really impressive little(!) speakers. Although it is a bit like upgrading knackered suspension on a car (ie - I am not sure how a brand new pair sound), the results from Paul's tinkering was superb. He's a great guy, too. I am sure he spent way more time than he charged for.

His Canterburys are obviously the benchmark. (with a Radford sta25, obvs...)
    At the moment my setup is pretty much the same - RFC Canterburys with an STA25 ... at least until the STA100 comes back from Will's place.

I'm Richie.

Paul had his with a Radford Revival (STA40?) up them. incredible!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    Paul had his with a Radford Revival (STA40?) up them. incredible!
    I thought Paul had the STA25?
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

Bigman80 Guest

Give me a shout if you decide to sell, Tom. I have been wanting to try some Tannoys and these may fit the bill. Could combine a listen when I get down to yours.

Cheers O

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Adam.

"lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast