+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wanted: help with valve amp in Hull area

montesquieu Guest

Default Wanted: help with valve amp in Hull area

I have a friend in Hull with a Mesa Baron power amp that takes 12 x 5881 tubes - bit of a beast and it actually sounds very good. I believe it was modded at some point to run 100% in triode mode (in its unmodded state each push-pull pair is switchable between triode and pentode).

He's just retubed it and getting issues with the bias meters not apparently being able to be set correctly.

Anyone or any suggestions of who can help with this, handy for Hull or the East Riding generally? Really need someone to take take a proper technical look at it and repair if need be?

I'm Stephen.

A long shot but Glenn Croft is based in Scarborough- not far from your friend - he may be able to assist. If you think might be of use I have his contact details if you want to drop me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

I'm Alan.

Good call

I'm steve.

Sounds to me the tubes may not be right.
    I can test them all and check the amp over.
    I live just west of Hull
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

montesquieu Guest

It appears from correspondence with Mesa Boogie in the US that the likely issue is some leaky capacitors - known fault causing the symptoms being experienced.

However, Mr Croft has declined to work on the amp because it has PCBs.

Anyone else tackle an amp repair reasonably local to Hull? (Steve/SPS - didn't come back to you as it seems it's a more major fault rather than something straightforward).

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Steve will be able to fix it no problem. He builds his own amps.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm James.

ADR soundsense, Hull or Prossers Hull. ADR seem more into guitar amps but it's worth asking and even though Prossers on the face of it seem to do TV and white goods repair they do have experience with vintage amps
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

montesquieu Guest

Any more thoughts? My mate is a retired professor from Hull Uni and this amp is his pride and joy, and he’s also very ‘proper’. I’m looking for an established repair shop used to dealing with high end stuff. It might end in a total refurb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Kevin.

If your fiend can get the amp to Leeds they could try Andrew at Abacus Electronics (0113 2747064). He has repaired amps for me and there has always been plenty of valve amps from a range of manufacturers in his workshop.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckletheuncivil View Post
    If your fiend can get the amp to Leeds they could try Andrew at Abacus Electronics (0113 2747064). He has repaired amps for me and there has always been plenty of valve amps from a range of manufacturers in his workshop.
    +1 for Andrew. He has done several bits for me and a really nice guy.

Just remembered, he was recommended to me by Phil Pimblott, of AUDIOLAB in Leeds:- who some folk may remember. (Phil had retired and suggested Andrew).
    Last edited by Vinyl turner; 21-01-2018 at 23:41.

+ Reply to Thread