+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there life after the AT95E lOL !

I'm Peter.

Default Is there life after the AT95E lOL !

Hi, happy New Year to all you disc spinners, I posted some stuff about my old Rega Planar 3 some time ago. I fitted the modified motor mount sticky pads, and Aluminium pulley and a little Blue Belter drive belt. cleaned and re oiled the bearing, and fitted an Ortofon Blue cartridge, Although Roy Gandy says there is no need to adjust the VTA, I shimmed the arm up to be level when in the playing position and lastly an Origin Live mat. Excellent sound but some wow now and again on some inner tracks and some motor noise at higher volumes

I was reluctant to spend any more money on a 35 + year old deck, so rather than sell it I put it into retirement. and dived head first into direct drive, a AT-LP5 turntable ( I could not afford the latest Planar 3 ) fitted with the AT-95E cartridge. based on reviews. Well it really surprised me, superb sound scape, no wow and no detectable motor noise and hum free. It plays way above its price point and every bit as good if not better than my old Planar 3. I didn't think the Ortofon Blue sounded any better than AT95E

It makes you wonder what cartridge up grade would work, I acknowledge that the arm will be the limiting factor, but in my opinion it could easily handle a modest upgrade.
    Pete

I'm malcolm.

I'd be tempted to make an armboard and fit the Rega arm to the LP5.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm jamie.

why not upgrade the stylus on the 95?
    the HE version,hyper elliptical or SA shabata tip
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Martin.

Consider a Nagaoka MP110, beefier sound than an AT95 with a bit more lushness of tone.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Hugo.

Audio Technica make a number of MM cartridges in the VM range that will better the AT95E without pushing the AT-LP5 beyond its comfort zone. See https://eu.audio-technica.com/hifi-phono/cartridges

I'm Peter.

Thanks, I will look at the AT VM range

I'm Mike.

I have recently been very surprised by a humble Acutex 410e cartridge in my Lenco. Very surprised !
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    I have recently been very surprised by a humble Acutex 410e cartridge in my Lenco. Very surprised !
    I have been saying this about the Acutex for an age. NO ONE LISTENS

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I have been saying this about the Acutex for an age. NO ONE LISTENS
    I know what you mean. I remember getting a similar (non) reaction about Elac cartridges. Which are equally good. But there you go!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I know what you mean. I remember getting a similar (non) reaction about Elac cartridges. Which are equally good. But there you go!
    It's a pandemic of price I think. You can buy 2 x Acutex 410e for £50 on ebay. It must be crap? Think again! It's a stonkingly good cartridge!!!!!!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast