+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving Coil

I'm Steve.

Default Moving Coil

Hi All and the very best of New Years to everyone

Im looking for a moving coil cart to suit my Project 2xperience sb dc which will be connected to a
    Schitt Mani phono stage and my
    Rega Brio 2017

My musical taste is varied but mainly Prog and jazz.

I dont mind second hand as long as the Cart is in good condition

All Suggestions Welcomed

Regards

Steve

Forgot Budget £300 max

I'm Geoff.

Steve. You might want to tell folks whether it's a low output or high output MC that you want.

Just a suggestion, for a bit above your budget you can get a brand new Goldring Eroica LX. Very nice sounding MC.

I'm Steve.

Im really not sure whether it's a low output or high output MC as I dont know the benefits of either.

I have the Mani which will cater for both

Thanks Geoff

I'm Geoff.

To generalise.

Low output MC's tend to have lower coil/cantilever mass due to reduced coil windings, therefore reproduce detail and transients better, but they don't have enough output to work into an MM phono stage input. High output MC's do, as they have bigger coils generating more current, but they do seem to have reduced resolution.

I've not heard many high output MC's that I thought had an acceptable sound. For instance, the Sumiko Blue Point and Ortofon MC1 Turbo are bloody awful in my opinion. The Denons and Dynavectors are somewhat better.

I'm Steve.

Hi Geoff
    Thanks for the brief explanation, I guess I don't mind whether its low output or high.
    I'm guessing both will be an improvement over the Ortofon 2m Silver that came with the TT ???

Regards Steve...
    Last edited by STD305M; 01-01-2018 at 11:09. Reason: Add Cart model

I'm Geoff.

Don't know that Ortofon, so can't comment.

If your phono stage caters to low output MC's then personally, that's what I'd be looking for. I'm sure somebody on here will come up with something at a sensible price.

I'm Steve.

Anyone got a Used but good condition Low output Moving coil Cart at a sensible price.

Steve...

I'm Richie.

Ive got a Denon DL300 that is surplus, now that I have a Hana SL. In its box. I’ll PM you.

I'm Steve.

Personally I don’t think you can better an AT33ptg, it’s an absolutely stunning cart at a reasonable price. I think you could probably pick one up from Scott Nangle new for not too much more than your budget.
    Regards Steve

Funkfirm Little Super Deck with F5 arm
    Audio Technica AT33sa
    Vertere Phono 1
    Naim Supernait 2
    Niam Allae speaker

I'm Tim.

The Mani will do low and high output mc carts however, it doesn’t sound as good with low output mc carts.
    It has an adequate SQ with low output but is a lot better with MM or high output MC carts. When I say a lot better it is a significant difference.
    If you want to use an MC cart get a high output one or use a step up or head amp with your Mani.
    My advice would be get a good MM cart that will match the Mani better.
    It’s a shame you missed that Goldring G1042 in the classifieds at £90 that would have been worth a try, different to your 2m but I guess that is what you are looking for.
    Hope this helps. BTW I had a mani and tried it with a few carts both MC and MM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast