+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Visit To Malvern Audio Research

I'm Justin.

Some may have noticed the huge Ming Da Dynasty Cantabile Grand amps. We had a listen to those, too.

I had heard the Grands on Art Deco 12s at Bristol a while back, where they sounded great in a smallish room. Too small a room, really. But they still sounded great. Yours for £25K odd or whatever you can negotiate, I guess. I saw some Jensen caps in there so component quality looks like it is probably very acceptable. Apparently there is a smaller one box variant coming out.

Again they sounded very good here. Nice amps, no question. The Ming Da gear does have a very distinct styling you'll either love or hate, I suspect.

A few pics of Ming kit, but by no means all of the Ming kit in the room.

Had a listen to this one too. Good amp. Really.

The Ming digital source we used.

I'm James.

Interesting you preferred the AT 33 rather than the ART7. I think they may have over egged the pudding with the ART7 as Audio Technica seem to excel at bright detailed cartridges?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    . What the speakers biggest flaw appears to be is a lack of true dynamics. Some of that is probably due to bouncing the bass off the floor. o.
    More likely because they just don't have any bass, just a massive mid-range hump. That probably helped with assessing the differences in the valves, though
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Hi Justin, which AT33 cartridge did you use was a AT33ptg or AT33SA. I think the ART7 is typical of AT over egging the pudding with their bright top end.

Another much underestimated MC cartridge by Audio-Technica is their AT-F7.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    More likely because they just don't have any bass, just a massive mid-range hump. That probably helped with assessing the differences in the valves, though
    No they do have bass. It is just warm and not punchy. The fact of the matter is, though, that the mid probably does dominate the proceedings with the quite large horn directly facing you. There's just more apparent information coming from the mid and treble units than you get from the bass drivers.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi Justin, which AT33 cartridge did you use was a AT33ptg or AT33SA. I think the ART7 is typical of AT over egging the pudding with their bright top end.

Another much underestimated MC cartridge by Audio-Technica is their AT-F7.
    As I said, Jim, I dunno which variant it was. I used to own an AT-F3 (dangerous highs that bite hard), An OC9 (better by a long shot but still a little etched at the top end) and an OC-30 (no longer made) and that I would rate as a good cartridge. The top end really was OK with that although still identifiably an AT.
    Last edited by User211; 31-12-2017 at 13:59.

I'm Justin.

Jim I am guessing it was one of these. The only non-mono AT33 on that website that has the same colour of finish on all sides. The one in my pic looks to be gold finished, but maybe that is just a trick of the light etc. So £700 odd quids worth.

I'm Deleted.

I’ve heard the huge Ming-Da amps, the speakers and a number of the other bits at the Cranage show.
    Account Deleted

I'm Deleted.

I’ve heard those speakers a number of times (four or five) and they are really quite flexible in the way they can be driven. As a result they can sound very different from one setup to another. I would also add that one of the most opaque, soggy, lack-lustre and bland sounds I have ever heard emanated from a pair of impressive looking Ming-Da monoblocks....
    Account Deleted

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Jim I am guessing it was one of these. The only non-mono AT33 on that website that has the same colour of finish on all sides. The one in my pic looks to be gold finished, but maybe that is just a trick of the light etc. So £700 odd quids worth.
    Cheers Justin, the AT33SA would probably be more in keeping with the equipment you were listening too. Nice Shabita stylus so should have sounded quite detailed?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast