+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: A Visit To Malvern Audio Research

I'm Justin.

Quick video of said Lampi based system. Not well shot and done whilst quick classical excerpts were being played, but hey. Better than nowt!

I'm Justin.

hORNS Universum doing Pet Shops.

Fantastically enjoyable 11:30 am til 5:30 pm session at Mark's. I strongly recommend a visit Mark is a great host.

I'd be a bit careful trying to form solid opinions based on the video SQ, though it is hard not to be influenced. A lot better in the flesh is all I'd say.

email: mark@mingda.co.uk. I'm sure he won't mind that for any genuine enquiries after all it will be on his website I suspect.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Posts such as the above discussing the finer nuances of the sound of particular valves cause me to think that despite years of being interested in and substantially involved in audio, both as a hobby and professionally, I have cloth ears.
    I don't doubt different manufacturer's version of the same valve design can sound different, and can be readily discernable - the difficulty is often describing what those differences are. Much in the same way the product from different Chateaux of a particular wine region will taste different.

Maybe that is the reason I stick to solid-state electronics. For the only valve power amplifier I have, I keep to the valves chosen by the designer, which for that particular amp are (Blackburn Road) Mullards.
    Barry

I'm George.

Justin,

Looks like you had a great day.

I have heard the big horns twice and once they were OK and on the second occasion they were excellent. I guess the new Lampizator DAC and the valve power amps helped no end on the second occasion. They were also in a much better and bigger room allowing the horns a chance to really energize things. That looks like an impressive set of amplifiers and like you I have a soft spot for the bigger valve amps with 211s and /or 845s. Unfortunately because they use high voltages the size of the transformers gets to be very large/expensive. But boy do they do dynamics and power as well as a lot of the finesse of 300Bs.

I was using the Hattor this afternoon with the Takman Rex resistors. Although more than the Khozmo I like the use of balanced inputs and outputs, remote control and balance controls. Although they are £1.5K the sound quality and convenience is great and I doubt any active up to many £Ks more can have that transparency. Would really like to hear these horns with the big speakers. Like the piccies.

I'm gone.

I've only heard the Universum speakers once, at a show, and not for long.
    Small scale classical (right up my street) and I was sorely pressed to return to my beloved MBLs! I just loved their midrange transparency and presence. The MBLs are very good, the Universums were better in those aspects. The wife said I should get a pair and play swapsies with the MBLs, but I decided not to.
    Mind you, they were less than £10k then, not the current £25k!

I'm George.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I've only heard the Universum speakers once, at a show, and not for long.
    Small scale classical (right up my street) and I was sorely pressed to return to my beloved MBLs! I just loved their midrange transparency and presence. The MBLs are very good, the Universums were better in those aspects. The wife said I should get a pair and play swapsies with the MBLs, but I decided not to.
    No sense of adventure Jerry

I'm gone.

Nah, I'm well known as a stick in the mud when it comes to hifi. Never change a thing.

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Nah, I'm well known as a stick in the mud when it comes to hifi. Never change a thing.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Rob.

Mark is an excellent host. I've always enjoyed my visits there. He did a wonderful job on my Beard P35. A top bloke!
    Rob.