+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New arrival - budget Ortofon SPU #1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    montesquieu Guest

Default New arrival - budget Ortofon SPU #1

I was running a 1960s vintage SPU GE on my Garrard 401 recently, till Adam (Westlower) borrowed it for this own 401/SME 3012 project .. unsurprisingly it was such a nice fit in his setup that it ended up not coming home again.

The question for me was what to replace it with ... I've been intrigued by the SPU #1 since it was announced about 18 months ago. There are spherical and eliptical versions, using bonded styli rather than the nude styli of the higher up models at getting on for twice the price, but as far as I can make out, there are few other significant differences, possibly in the coils though the specs are pretty mainstream for SPU.

Of course it's not that long since the GM MkII models (formerly entry level but now intermediate between the #1 and the fancy top end SPUs) were down in this sort of price range, but they have been steadily drifting up to the 1000 Euro mark. Vintage SPU prices have been heading steadily upwards as well, but not yet as such a steep rate - to my thinking the GM MkII are being priced out of contention, why pay this sort of money when a vintage Alnico model probably sounds better and can still be had for less? In this context the SPU#1 would seem to be a sensible move by Ortofon, while the repositioning of the GM range looks more than a bit cynical.

Anyway, I took the plunge ... Deco Audio had one in stock and it arrived this morning in time for some New Year fun. I went for the spherical as the other SPU I have at the moment - a Royal N - has the Replicant stylus which as I understand it is a fancy eliptical, while the Miyajima Madake is a Shibata. I do like spherical styli generally as often you gain musicality in return for often what is only quite a modest loss of detail compared to fancier profiles, while they are also pretty kind to the groove even at high VTF settings, but although I have several spherical MMs, I didn't have one on an MC until this arrived.

First impressions - bit stiff out of the box (as you'd expect) but took only 3-4 sides to improve considerably. By now, a few more sides in, it sounds just like an SPU should - big and bold and musical, free and easy at the high frequencies, punchy and dimensional in the mids, and although the bass is still a tad stiff, I would expect that to continue to improve. It tracks like a train (as you'd expect from a propely set up low compliance cartrige at 4g in a heavy arm).

Seems to be a good match with the high mass AT1503 I'm running on the Garrard, though it does seem to ride a lot lower in the groove at the recommended 4g compared to the Royal N, so there may possibly be some suspension differences between it and the higher up models. Compliance is slighly higher at 10um vs 8 for the Royal N but that may well suit many arms out there, certainly I would expect this to work nicely on a Jelco 750D so long as it had the heavy counterweight.

Proper critical listening and comparison to the Royal N (which lists at between three and four times the price) to follow once it's got a few more sides under its belt. But right at the moment with Louis Armstrong from the 60s playing it's sounding rather promising, tonally spot on with a nice 3D soundstage.

Bigman80 Guest

Looks fab, Tom. Your Bobs device should be with you Tuesday. It's RM guaranteed delivery. I'll send you the tracking if needed.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Looks fab, Tom. Your Bobs device should be with you Tuesday. It's RM guaranteed delivery. I'll send you the tracking if needed.

Arrived this morning Oliver I was about to message you and let you know.

Bigman80 Guest

Sweet!!!!

montesquieu Guest

Couple of SUT experiments ...

Output on the #1 is 2 ohm and it sounds pretty fab on the input labelled 3 ohm on the EAR912 (which I gather is x30).

That got me thinking so I dug out the little Ortofon 2-15k step-up 'dongle' type I got from Barry a while back (also 1:30 I believe), designed for 2 ohm cartridges from the original SPU/SL15 era. It sounds superb with it - not quite as detailed, spatious or refined as the EAR but very lively, tonally accurate and really quite 'right' (indeed it gives it something of a vintage SPU feel). Very enjoyable. This is what I'll be running it into once the Garrard goes back in the study. So all doubt removed - the #1 is a proper SPU!

Interestingly I tried it with the Bob's Devices Cinemag SUT I got from from Jake Recently, this offers 1:10 and 1:20 .. even on 1:20 (which is the ratio on this ideally suited for a Denon 103) it sounded a bit flat and lifeless .. I guess for all its qualities with other cartridges, 2 ohm is somewhat out of its comfort zone.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Couple of SUT experiments ...

Output on the #1 is 2 ohm and it sounds pretty fab on the input labelled 3 ohm on the EAR912 (which I gather is x30).

That got me thinking so I dug out the little Ortofon 2-15k step-up 'dongle' type I got from Barry a while back (also 1:30 I believe), designed for 2 ohm cartridges from the original SPU/SL15 era. It sounds superb with it - not quite as detailed, spatious or refined as the EAR but very lively, tonally accurate and really quite 'right' (indeed it gives it something of a vintage SPU feel). Very enjoyable. This is what I'll be running it into once the Garrard goes back in the study. So all doubt removed - the #1 is a proper SPU!

Interestingly I tried it with the Bob's Devices Cinemag SUT I got from from Jake Recently, this offers 1:10 and 1:20 .. even on 1:20 (which is the ratio on this ideally suited for a Denon 103) it sounded a bit flat and lifeless .. I guess for all its qualities with other cartridges, 2 ohm is somewhat out of its comfort zone.
    The '2-15K' in-line SUT (kabelübertrager), has a step-up ratio of 1:80.

Inspection of the data sheet for the SL15 (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...turers-Ortofon), shows the output from the SL15 alone is 0.025mV (at 1 cm/s) and is 2mV via the 2-15K SUT, so the step up ratio is 2/0.025 = 80. This tallies with the impedance ratio: the SUT has the designation "2-15K" because when the SUT is loaded with the 2Ohm impedance of the cartridge, the output impedance is 15KOhm, hence the step-up ratio is sqrt(15000/2) = sqrt(7500) ~= 87.
    Barry

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The '2-15K' in-line SUT (kubelubertrager), has a step-up ratio of 1:80.

Inspection of the data sheet for the SL15 (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...turers-Ortofon), shows the output from the SL15 alone is 0.025mV (at 1 cm/s) and is 2mV via the 2-15K SUT, so the step up ratio is 2/0.025 = 80. This tallies with the impedance ratio: the SUT has the designation "2-15K" because when the SUT is loaded with the 2Ohm impedance of the cartridge, the output impedance is 15KOhm, hence the step-up ratio is sqrt(15000/2) = sqrt(7500) ~= 87.
    Interesting. There isn't much if any difference in output volume though between it and the EAR's internal phono om 3 ohm so maybe I have wrong numbers for that too.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

It's more a question of gain, rather than impedance. What is the gain of the phono-stage of the EAR amp in both the MM and MC mode?

I expect the "3Ohm" setting refers to the coil impedance of the cartridge, rather than the input impedance of the amp. This is a Japanese convention; the actual input impedance is more likely to be 33Ohm or more.
    Barry

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It's more a question of gain, rather than impedance. What is the gain of the phono-stage of the EAR amp in both the MM and MC mode?

I expect the "3Ohm" setting refers to the coil impedance of the cartridge, rather than the input impedance of the amp. This is a Japanese convention; the actual input impedance is more likely to be 33Ohm or more.
    Not sure the stats are available in this form. The preamp gain on the EAR 912 is 14db.

Re-reading Stereophile's review the step-up gain is published in db, not in 1:XX - so that's 30db (not 1:30) for the input marked 3 ohm, 26 db for 6 ohm, 23 db for 12 ohm and 20 db for 40 ohm - not sure how ratios can be calculated from that.

There is an additional transformer with three positions (0db, -6db and -12db) in between the phono section and the preamp, providing attenuation for gain matching purposes. I suspect that this complicates things when it comes to calculating gain. Without any attenuation the output on the lower impedance settings can be pretty high - keeping the phono output at appropriate levels is what the VU meters are for. When I first got it I thought I could detect a degredation in quality when the intermediate transformer was used but I'm satisfied now that that's just an artefact of the gain drop and that with levels matched, it can't be heard. Most of my cartridges are pretty low output though so it's not needed that much.

What I have found is that's it's possible to get a good sound out of every MC cartridge I've tried in it from 2 ohm at the coil right up to 100 ohm, at a variety of outputs from 0.05mv to 1mv, while the 47k ohm MM stage on its own is also superb. It really is a Swiss army knife of preamps and I've been delighted with it. I was actually skeptical before Petrat brought his down and we compared it against my Hashimoto HM7 + Aurorasound Vida + Modwright 36.5. But within a few weeks of hearing his I had tracked one down on the French-Belgian border and drove over on the chunnel to buy it.

Specs as published:

Input impedances, phono: 47k ohms, moving-magnet; labelled 3, 6, 12, or 40 ohms, moving-coil.
    Output impedance: 600 ohms.
    Line-stage gain: 14dB.
    Phono-stage gain: 50–80dB
    Signal/noise ratio: 68dB phono (ref. 2.4mV), 90dB line (ref. 1V).
    Frequency response: 20Hz–20kHz, –0.3dB.
    Distortion: <0.1% at 1kHz, 3V output.

I'm Knut.

Hi Tom,
    good choice with your SPU #1. All my SPU's with 2 Ohms show very good results with step ups with 1:40 ore more. The Hashimoto HM-3 and the Fidelity research XF-1L are the best for me.
    Regards

Knut
    Knut.

Acoustic Signature Thunder & Final Tool, Technics SP15, Ampearl RE1030 Valve Phono, Ampearl Valve phono LCR RE2030, Ampearl RE1031, Tribute SUT, Aidas MC, Linn Akiva, DS Audio E1, Nagra VPS
    Legat Audio SETA E130L SE, Legat KT88 SE , K&T Donar, JE Labs Open baffle with Philips 12202, BK elec SUBs P12 & XXls400

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast