+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cartridge recommendations for SME3009

I'm Neil.

Default Cartridge recommendations for SME3009

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Yomanze,

That's good to know, as there was a post on AA, suggesting that the 1042 stylus wasn't great in a Reca.

https://www.audioasylum.com/messages...ylus-a-warning

Charlie
    Yeah have seen a few reports, also some side by side comparisons saying just use the D42. The Reca stylus has an oval fixing, so can’t be used in the round fixing Goldrings, but aside from that it is the same Gyger S stylus and cantilever, only potential issue I have heard about is a slight difference in VTA, which could explain the negative reports (especially as it is a line contact stylus).
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Steve.

Thanks so far everyone. I have sent a PM ref the ADC ZLM. Cheers

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Yomanze,

That's good to know, as there was a post on AA, suggesting that the 1042 stylus wasn't great in a Reca.

https://www.audioasylum.com/messages...ylus-a-warning

Charlie
    I have a Reca, and tried a 1042 stylus some years ago.
    Because it (the 1042 stylus) was recommended by one of the sales guys at a well respected dealership I thought it might have legs.
    The 1042 stylus was returned by the end of the day, and I ended up having to shell out considerably more for the Reson stylus.
    The 1042 is not a drop in replacement for the Reca stylus.

My Reca is now retired, as the stylus needs replacement, new stylii are almost unobtainium, and mega bucks if you can source one

DNM Reson Reca - best MM I've ever used.
    Goldring 1042 - nowhere near as good as the Reson Reca, but an alright cartridge.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Neil.

As with all of these things YMMV etc., here's a thread where people have been happy with the D42 with direct comparison with the Reca stylus: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...p?f=19&t=52315
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I have a Reca, and tried a 1042 stylus some years ago.
    Because it (the 1042 stylus) was recommended by one of the sales guys at a well respected dealership I thought it might have legs.
    The 1042 stylus was returned by the end of the day, and I ended up having to shell out considerably more for the Reson stylus.
    The 1042 is not a drop in replacement for the Reca stylus.

My Reca is now retired, as the stylus needs replacement, new stylii are almost unobtainium, and mega bucks if you can source one

DNM Reson Reca - best MM I've ever used.
    Goldring 1042 - nowhere near as good as the Reson Reca, but an alright cartridge.
    Just wondering, anyone know if Wyndham Hodgson might retip your old Reca stylus assembly?
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

You can still get replacement stylii, but at 450 Swiss Francs they're not cheap https://translate.google.com/transla...spieler/ENRECA
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Charlie.

450 ChF - thats about £340 - similar to a replacement Ortofon 2M Black stylus
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Neil.

That’s a lot of money to use an oval peg... Do you think the Roksan Corus stylii are different too? People upgrade their Roksan carts to D42s too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Justin.

Aye. Better off just buying a new, complete Goldring 1042, on which the Reson Reca was based.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123