+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bearing isolation

I'm gerald.

Default bearing isolation

i know people have use wax in the bearing well anyone tried silicone .
    I am thinking of putting a plastic sheet covered in washing up liquid in the base and also over the bearing base leave it go off remove plastic so will have a perfect shaped moulded silicone base .
    Thoughts please

I'm Hugo.

The idea behind using beeswax in the bearing well is to impart more structural rigidity in a part of the turntable's chassis that is quite weak (that's why Mike New designed his base plate). It has nothing to do with damping. So, putting something soft in there like silicone will have no effect. Beeswax is pretty good stuff, from a structural and vibration point of view (which is why it's still used for temporary mounting of accelerometers in vibration measurements), as well as being reversible in this application.

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by diviy View Post
    i know people have use wax in the bearing well anyone tried silicone .
    I am thinking of putting a plastic sheet covered in washing up liquid in the base and also over the bearing base leave it go off remove plastic so will have a perfect shaped moulded silicone base .
    Thoughts please
    IANMAC has done what you are trying and in one of his posts in the dc diy power supply thread he says how it’s done. Can’t find the link now but check his 2016/2017 posts or pm him directly. I recall he lined the bearing well with cling film before adding silicone so it could be removed if not liked.

Mel

+ Reply to Thread