+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: KT88, KT120 or perhaps KT150 toobs

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Si74 View Post
    I wouldn't be messing about with second owner valves, maybe for a pre but not 8 for a power amp. Recipe for grief.
    Noted, however this is a pretty ‘smart’ power amp

I'm Lawrence.

If it was me, I would be doing the same as you anyway.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I must admit I would be keen to experiment with other valves - el34 have never succeeded in making the music really come alive for me, to my humble ears there's something fundamentally dynamically drab about their presentation however "sweet" their midrange may (or may not) be tonally, and I've tried a few implementations.

I'm happy to acknowledge that others feel different about them, though. (Although I remain baffled by the fact )

If I read aright Mike's musical tastes I'd suggest KT90 be added to his 'must try' list .. the ballsiest valve amp I ever had was fitted out with 2 KT90 a side. I've not heard 120 or 150, though.
    I must agree with Jerry. Ive had a good number of EL34 amps and none have set the world alight for me. I like KT120s much more than KT88s although I've not yet tried KT150s. I'd also,agree with Jerry in his liking for KT90s. Best valve sound I've had was using KT90s, although I can't remember which ones.

I'm Knut.

Hi Mike
    if you like please look at German "audio-markt", Angebots-ID 7175992842. or search there for "Tung Sol". Seller has 16 KT120 matched, and eight KT150 matched . I just bought 4 KT120 for 80Euros. They are like new, perfect seller, perfect tubes, great sound in my CJ MV 75. Maybe he ships them to you, I don't know. Regards. Knut
    Knut.

Acoustic Signature Thunder & Final Tool, Technics SP15, Ampearl RE1030 Valve Phono, Ampearl Valve phono LCR RE2030, Ampearl RE1031, Tribute SUT, Aidas MC, Linn Akiva, DS Audio E1, Nagra VPS
    Legat Audio SETA E130L SE, Legat KT88 SE , K&T Donar, JE Labs Open baffle with Philips 12202, BK elec SUBs P12 & XXls400

I'm Tim.

I have KT88s in my Prima Luna Prologue one, as supplied by the seller who was a bit of a tube roller. They’re Electro Harmonics and sound better than the EL34s that came with it.

Tube rolling is fun on these amps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

Still looking to waste my Xmas money on toobs

I'm Mike.

No one?

I'm gone.

Nope.

I'm Tony.

I have a quad of Psvane Hifi KT88's with about 300 hrs on them if you're interested.

Compared to EL34s in the same amp the bass is far deeper and more controlled...
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Lawrence.

I've always struggled to find low use power valves, people don't seem to sell them like the smaller ones.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast