+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: KT88, KT120 or perhaps KT150 toobs

I'm Mike.

Default Wanted: KT88, KT120 or perhaps KT150 toobs

Hi,

I fancy trying some KT88, KT120 or KT150's in my power amp. I need 8 of either in total.

Just bought it and here I am wanting to upgrade it already

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Hi,

I fancy trying some KT88, KT120 or KT150's in my power amp. I need 8 of either in total.

You might get a touch more power if the design can cater to it, but that may not necessarily be an upgrade soundwise. EL34's sound lovely in a good amp.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You might get a touch more power if the design can cater to it, but that may not necessarily be an upgrade soundwise. EL34's sound lovely in a good amp.
    True, my new amp can take either and autobias them too, lot of good comments from people changing them up. Check out the videos from Upscale Audio (LA) on YouTube if you're bored and want to check out the amp.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'd concur with that, for all an amp may be made with flexible voltage settings, the output transformers will have been made for one set of valve characteristics in particular and that's likely to deliver an amp's sweet spot. That was my findings with the Leben 660p anyway - yes you could use other tubes but anything different to EL34/KT77 types gave no benefit.

EDIT - Having said that I did try about six different tube types so totally understand the urge to experiment!
    Last edited by montesquieu; 28-12-2017 at 20:20.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I'd concur with that, for all an amp may be made with flexible voltage settings, the output transformers will have been made for one set of valve characteristics in particular and that's likely to deliver an amp's sweet spot. That was my findings with the Leben 660p anyway - yes you could use other tubes but anything different to EL34/KT77 types gave no benefit.

EDIT - Having said that I did try about six different tube types so totally understand the urge to experiment!
    Fair enough, the reviews and videos on YouTube say to try all the models I've mentioned as they all give different characteristics or improvements as well as different power ratings. One of the main reasons I chose this amp was the ability to swap valves and let the electronics inside do all the biasing and adjustment.

Well worth checking out Kevin Deals videos on YouTube for a better description that I'm giving

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Hi,

So what did you buy in the end??
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by ovlov854 View Post
    So what did you buy in the end??
    Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP Power Amp, used it was a good bit cheaper than the integrated even though the retail is higher

I'm gone.

I must admit I would be keen to experiment with other valves - el34 have never succeeded in making the music really come alive for me, to my humble ears there's something fundamentally dynamically drab about their presentation however "sweet" their midrange may (or may not) be tonally, and I've tried a few implementations.

I'm happy to acknowledge that others feel different about them, though. (Although I remain baffled by the fact )

If I read aright Mike's musical tastes I'd suggest KT90 be added to his 'must try' list .. the ballsiest valve amp I ever had was fitted out with 2 KT90 a side. I've not heard 120 or 150, though.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I must admit I would be keen to experiment with other valves - el34 have never succeeded in making the music really come alive for me, to my humble ears there's something fundamentally dynamically drab about their presentation however "sweet" their midrange may (or may not) be tonally, and I've tried a few implementations.

I'm happy to acknowledge that others feel different about them, though. (Although I remain baffled by the fact )

If I read aright Mike's musical tastes I'd suggest KT90 be added to his 'must try' list .. the ballsiest valve amp I ever had was fitted out with 2 KT90 a side. I've not heard 120 or 150, though.
    I was thinking KT90s too funnily enough.

Looks like an absolutely perfect amp for Tannoys. Should sound totally fab. Great choice!

I'm Simon.

I wouldn't be messing about with second owner valves, maybe for a pre but not 8 for a power amp. Recipe for grief.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast