+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New version of the ALLO BOSS is here

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    The files won't show up in windows as Volumio is linux based.
    You should still see the files even if they are configured for the Pi. No point in sending the sd car back to Allo. Much simpler to follow the instructions to format the sd card and install Volumio. a bit of a pain I agree if the card was meant to be formatted with Volumio.

Geoff

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky View Post
    Firstly, thank you for the replies.
    I confess I find the power supply arrangements confusing. The Boss was supplied with the jumper in place. If I feed power to the Boss USB Type C connector it illuminates a green LED on the Boss and a red LED on the Pi, from which I conclude there is power to both boards. If I remove the jumper only one of the LEDs illuminates, depending on whether I feed power to the Boss or the Pi.
    This is exactly how it should be. If you remove the jumper, you should power the DAC and the Pi separately.

What power supply are you using, by the way?

I connected to my router via Ethernet cable, having read that the Pi's wi-fi performance can be poor without a dongle. The LEDs on the Pi's Ethernet socket did not illuminate.
    Excuse my ignorance, but I didn't understand the statement "It's also possible that your Pi is booting up in AP (Access Point) mode. If so, 'Volumio' will appear in your list of available networks and you will need to connect to it." I can't see any additional device, wired or otherwise, on my router setup page. Likewise no reference to Volumio.
    I tried removing the SD card to check it on my desktop, and Windows Explorer says it is empty. I assume the files Allo should have loaded won't necessarily be readable in Windows, but shouldn't something show up? My feeling at the moment is the most likely explanation is that Allo sent me a blank card! If this is the case, how would I go about getting them to send me what was promised?
    Download the latest Volumio image from volumio.org and flash it to the SD card using Etcher (etcher.io).

If the problem persists, connect the Pi to a display to see what’s going on.

I'm John.

@Lanky

If you're using wired ethernet you don't need to worry about AP mode. Just follow the advice in the previous posts and put a Volumio image on your sd card. Instructions are on the Volumio site.

I'm Rob.

I did wonder. Shame, looks like it might not be so simple as I thought.
    I had a reply from Ioan at Allo asking me for more information, so lets hope he can come up with an idea.

I'm John.

I did wonder. Shame, looks like it might not be so simple as I thought.
    I think that it is, simply, most likely that you have a blank sdcard.
    At some time in the future you may need to burn a Volumio image onto an sd card, because even if Allo provides a ready-made one it may not last for ever.
    So why not learn how to do it now? It's not difficult, and you have nothing to lose.

I'm Pavel.

Really, when using Etcher, it's as simple as downloading the file, dragging it into the Etcher window and clicking two buttons.

But Raspberry Pi-based streamers, even if they're sold as a complete solution, will never be as simple and bullet-proof in operation as a finished one-box product from a well-known company. I know that if I wasn't a long time Unix user, I wouldn't touch one.

I'm allo.

Lanky,

sorry, but it seems like you need to format and reflash your SD card.
    BOSS players is one of our flagship products and we test each one going out.
    SD card corruptions happens sometimes when booting and re booting continuously.
    not as relaible as eMMC.. but even when it happens, as the good folk here said, its easy to reflash.

its a good experience to gain , especially if you want to upgrade or change OS in the future.

you have access to all the manuals and instructions on how to reflash on our website:
    https://www.allo.com/sparky/images-references.html

this link is available in the Support tab of the BOSS player page.

please do let me know if you have any other questions.

regards.
    Andre

I'm Rob.

Andre, I've responded to your PM separately, but for the good folk on here, the problem was a blank or corrupted SD card. As promised, the process of flashing Volumio onto the card was easy (well, the second time it was; after I'd formatted the card!).
    So it's now working! I haven't had time to test it thoroughly, but first impressions are that music sounds a little lacking in dynamics. That was a FLAC from a USB stick plugged in to my router just as a test. Maybe the Boss needs to burn in for a period?
    The only real hitch came when I selected Power Off in Volumio and it never completed. Is this the normal way to switch off? All I could do was unplug the power supply to the Boss.

I'm John.

Glad it's working out OK Rob. Yes, the usual way to power off is the way you tried. Just unplugging carries a slight risk of corrupting the sd card, but of course if the official method doesn't work you have no choice.
    Have you tried playing music with the USB stick in the Pi rather than the router, just to compare?
    Burn in may help. I've not seen any reports of the Boss being short on dynamics.

I'm allo.

Andre, I've responded to your PM separately, but for the good folk on here, the problem was a blank or corrupted SD card. As promised, the process of flashing Volumio onto the card was easy (well, the second time it was; after I'd formatted the card!).
    So it's now working! I haven't had time to test it thoroughly, but first impressions are that music sounds a little lacking in dynamics. That was a FLAC from a USB stick plugged in to my router just as a test. Maybe the Boss needs to burn in for a period?
    The only real hitch came when I selected Power Off in Volumio and it never completed. Is this the normal way to switch off? All I could do was unplug the power supply to the Boss.

hi there.
    what are you comparing the BOSS to?
    BOSS is all about dynamics and burning it in will open up even more!
    looking forward to your follow up comments in a few days.

you can shut down from Volumio and then unplug, leave it running... like I do.

cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast