+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: New version of the ALLO BOSS is here

I'm Rob.

I'm trying Volumio on my desktop PC. It's in a different room from the hifi so it's not a sustainable method, but with a solid ethernet connection all the way through and mouse control (touch screens don't like my fingers) I hoped it should cut out some of the variables.

Except it doesn't. The only gain I've noticed is that the 3 dot menu no longer hides under the search bar for the first few entries like it does on portable devices. (I got round this on the Hudl by loading four files called 001-004 into my Music Library.)

Some albums that are listed complete with album art in Music Library view, and are playable from there, don't show album art in Album view and don't play from here. Some albums work perfectly in all menus and views, so I can see that Volumio would be excellent if they were all like that.
    I could blame myself for getting something wrong in ripping that messed up the metadata enough in some of the rips to confuse some of Volumio's functions, though I believe I used the same settings in EAC for all the rips. But one of the albums that doesn't display or work correctly is a purchased FLAC download from the Presto Classical website which I haven't modified.

So far I've only tried playing music from a USB stick, so maybe I should put the same files on an external HDD and try that. My smart TV actually picks up the music folders on my desktop computer via the network, but I don't know how to get Volumio to do that, though I feel there should be a way.

I'm frustratingly close to getting Volumio to do what I want. Could there be a bug in the latest version (volumio-2.368-2018-02-18-pi.img)? Could my flashed image be corrupted? I have in mind that the only way to shut down is to pull the plug, because the shutdown function in Volumio appears not to work, as others have noted.

When I'm controlling the Pi from my tablet or phone I'm only a few feet away in line of sight, so surely the wifi should be good enough? I am using a wifi dongle with the Pi, though it's just an ASUS one that came with a wireless mouse and keyboard so is possibly not the best match. The Amazon link for Edimax shows eleven options, so I'm not sure which one you mean. The one I'm currently using looks just like the Edimax N150 Nano. Are these things plug and play, or is there some setting up needed?
    Anyway, as the same problems in Volumio occur with a fully wired connection I'm inclined to think the wifi aspect is a red herring.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky View Post
    I'm trying Volumio on my desktop PC. It's in a different room from the hifi so it's not a sustainable method, but with a solid ethernet connection all the way through and mouse control (touch screens don't like my fingers) I hoped it should cut out some of the variables.

Except it doesn't. The only gain I've noticed is that the 3 dot menu no longer hides under the search bar for the first few entries like it does on portable devices. (I got round this on the Hudl by loading four files called 001-004 into my Music Library.)

Some albums that are listed complete with album art in Music Library view, and are playable from there, don't show album art in Album view and don't play from here. Some albums work perfectly in all menus and views, so I can see that Volumio would be excellent if they were all like that.
    I could blame myself for getting something wrong in ripping that messed up the metadata enough in some of the rips to confuse some of Volumio's functions, though I believe I used the same settings in EAC for all the rips. But one of the albums that doesn't display or work correctly is a purchased FLAC download from the Presto Classical website which I haven't modified.

So far I've only tried playing music from a USB stick, so maybe I should put the same files on an external HDD and try that. My smart TV actually picks up the music folders on my desktop computer via the network, but I don't know how to get Volumio to do that, though I feel there should be a way.

I'm frustratingly close to getting Volumio to do what I want. Could there be a bug in the latest version (volumio-2.368-2018-02-18-pi.img)? Could my flashed image be corrupted? I have in mind that the only way to shut down is to pull the plug, because the shutdown function in Volumio appears not to work, as others have noted.

When I'm controlling the Pi from my tablet or phone I'm only a few feet away in line of sight, so surely the wifi should be good enough? I am using a wifi dongle with the Pi, though it's just an ASUS one that came with a wireless mouse and keyboard so is possibly not the best match. The Amazon link for Edimax shows eleven options, so I'm not sure which one you mean. The one I'm currently using looks just like the Edimax N150 Nano. Are these things plug and play, or is there some setting up needed?
    Anyway, as the same problems in Volumio occur with a fully wired connection I'm inclined to think the wifi aspect is a red herring.
    Sorry, I've run out of suggestions. I installed Volumio four months ago on my second Pi system. The whole process took 15 minutes from downloading to playback and the only adjustments I made were to select the Digione board and to activate software volume control (setting the max volume to 80 as my player feeds directly into the power amp.

I do suspect the wifi though, and other than for tablets and phones, all my home devices are connected using ethernet over mains adapters. BTW, you may be right beside your RPi when using Volumio but note that the control is via your router, not direct to the player!

I have had a problem with one or two files not playing back correctly, but it transpired that these were corrupted at some point and would not play back on my desktop pc either.

Geoff
    Last edited by Sherwood; 23-02-2018 at 13:47.

I'm John.

You're probably right in that case.
    Some people have reported issues with Volumio 2.368. I'll give it a run myself and see what happens.

I'm Barry.

What software are you using to flash the sd card, does it verify the written image? Have you tried another sd card, your card could be faulty.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post
    You're probably right in that case.
    Some people have reported issues with Volumio 2.368. I'll give it a run myself and see what happens.
    Interesting. It will be interesting to see how you get on.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit1cat View Post
    What software are you using to flash the sd card, does it verify the written image? Have you tried another sd card, your card could be faulty.
    Etcher, and it did verify the image. SD card was supplied by Allo. I have a spare I could try.

I'm Rob.

I tried an external HDD in place of the USB stick, but it made no difference. At one point I tried typing MUSIC into the search box and it found all My Music files on my PC, mostly M4As for my iPod. I tried a few and they seemed to play alright but then I moved on and now can't work out how I did it! Remind me, someone?
    It seems likely some of my files are suspect as this is my first adventure in ripping. Looking in the folders, I notice some have an M3U file and some don't, does this matter?
    I also see under My Music in the Volumio Settings menu\Music Library Settings a suggestion to "Configure the metadata fields used to describe albumartist in compilations or 'multiple artist' albums, use comma separated fields". Currently it reads Various,various,Various Artists,various artists,VA,va. I don't think this would apply to any of the albums I'm currently listing, but I wonder to what extent the choice of metadata when ripping affects Volumio.
    I really need to get my head round the finer details of ripping before I launch into doing hundreds of CDs. I may try dbPowerAmp and see if it's any easier to understand than EAC.

I'm Barry.

I have used EAC in the pass with good results, one thing you must remember with any thing you rip is to make sure all the files are tagged correctly, this is very important for volumio and any other software you might try, also check the tagging on any files you already have. I use mp3tag on my pc, it can be a long winded job but worth it in the End.

I'm Geoff.

I tried an external HDD in place of the USB stick, but it made no difference. At one point I tried typing MUSIC into the search box and it found all My Music files on my PC, mostly M4As for my iPod. I tried a few and they seemed to play alright but then I moved on and now can't work out how I did it! Remind me, someone?
    It seems likely some of my files are suspect as this is my first adventure in ripping. Looking in the folders, I notice some have an M3U file and some don't, does this matter?
    I also see under My Music in the Volumio Settings menu\Music Library Settings a suggestion to "Configure the metadata fields used to describe albumartist in compilations or 'multiple artist' albums, use comma separated fields". Currently it reads Various,various,Various Artists,various artists,VA,va. I don't think this would apply to any of the albums I'm currently listing, but I wonder to what extent the choice of metadata when ripping affects Volumio.
    I really need to get my head round the finer details of ripping before I launch into doing hundreds of CDs. I may try dbPowerAmp and see if it's any easier to understand than EAC.
    I endorse dbPoweramp. I bought a lifetime update version. One of the strengths of this package is that it compares each rip to a database of previous rips and verifies the accuracy of the rip. If it shows as an accurate rip you can be confident it is.

Geoff

I'm John.

@ Lanky

I installed Voumio 2.368 on my Pi3 with I2S DAC and 1TB Hard Disc attached to USB port, and it runs perfectly OK for me. I also got the Spotify Connect plug-in working.
    If you are still having problems then I think a fresh install might be worth trying, possibly with a different sd card.
    Last edited by jonners; 24-02-2018 at 11:18.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast