+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New version of the ALLO BOSS is here

I'm Josie.

Cool New version of the ALLO BOSS is here

Hi all.

Its been a while. Just had the heads up from Andre of Allo.

A new version of the most excellent Boss DAC for the RPI will be arriving very soon.

I've not much in terms to details as yet so I'll keep you posted but apparently power can be fed either through the Boss or via the RPI, or both which makes things more interesting.

Can't wait to give a go.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Josie.

Hi guys.

So.. It's landed. Here are some pics

Not been well recently and so haven't had chance to try and it as yet.

A couple of first impressions of the build. The phone sockets seem to be more substantial. That is the seem more sturdy on the board.

Also, the USB power connector is a larger type so that also feels more serious.

Last edited by The Black Adder; 31-12-2017 at 11:30.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Josie.

After feeling much better the new BOSS is now up and running.

Very first initial impressions are very favorable.

The first thing that hits you is the space and general ambiance. From the very first play of Shpongles Codex VI, it was pretty evident that something had been improved. With the DAC still in very early burn-in stages this was very welcome and puts it on a great platform for further improvements over the next few weeks of use.

I've been running the previous BOSS with the Isolator board. This time I've gone back to basics running just the RPI and the new BOSS. I will try it with the Isolator at a later date.

Reading up on some of the hardware changes it makes sense in regards to what I'm hearing with the new Boss. I'm not going to pretend that I understand the technical changes. Whatever has been done has been done well.

Although at this very, very early stage of testing it's most certainly an improvement over the previous boss with improved realism and air.

It's going to be a tough cookie to improve over the first BOSS DAC as it's such a great sounding DAC.

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Luke.

Great stuff Josie!

As a current Boss owner I can't quite justify upgrading to v1.2, but for anybody reading who might be tempted to try the Boss, this is great news.

I'm still waiting on their new 5v power supply. It didn't arrive in time for Christmas!

I'm allo.

Hi guys,
    firs off, I want to wish all of you only the best for the year to come.
    lots of exciting things coming out this year!

Thank you Josie for sharing your impressions so far.

We used a type C connector in the BOSS so you can power it and push full 3A that dont go through the microUSB.
    Feeding your RPI and BOSS separately is just better... less noise form the RPI.
    Another advantage of the 1.2 are the new NDK ultra low noise oscillators, less noise again.
    New film capacitors , again less noise and finally, optimized component placement to ... you guessed it... reduce noise.

BOSS (discontinued) was a great master DAC, but the 1.2 is just more representative of its time and our increased experience in audiophile design.

also see pics of the cases!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Grant.

seems to be developing well as i predicted. good stuff
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Josie.

Yup, Grant. With each update the sound just grows.

I've now reintroduced the isolator with the boss 1.2 and the sound is stonking.

I'll update my review soon.

The cases look great too.

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Richard.

Looks great and thanks for the heads up Josie. I have to admit I'm a little behind on developments here. The Piano 2.1 + KALI is still considered the top of the tree though is it not?
    Rich

I'm Simon.

Does anyone have contact details for Andre? I PM'd a few days ago but don't think he checks in daily.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by lovejoy View Post
    Looks great and thanks for the heads up Josie. I have to admit I'm a little behind on developments here. The Piano 2.1 + KALI is still considered the top of the tree though is it not?
    I think it is as a complete player (including DAC).

The Digione is their top spdif board.

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast