+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: wtd good quality mains distribution block

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylist View Post
    Interesting. For whatever (little?) it’s worth the Tacima mains conditioner has some good reviews (https://www.whathifi.com/tacima/cs947/review) - have folk here any experience with them?
    I’ve used them in the past and agree with the reviews. For the money - stonking!

I'm Mark.

Don't bother with anything cheap that has a filter or surge protection in it, they can affect the sound negatively. It's easy to think they are a good idea, they're not really.

The Olson ones with the led bypassed are an ok shout for something cheap, especially if you can find one with no switches. The dreaded Russ Andrews make their Powerbar S, which is pretty good if you can pick one up s/h. If you want something star-earthed, a Wireworld Matrix 2 is a good shout.

For completely star wired ones, unless you want to spend more like £500-600 you are better off building your own (if you know what you are doing!!!), using good sockets and internal wire that is the same as the feeding power cord, and good crimp or screw copper terminals inside for each of the 3 star terminals for live neutral and earth (UK I am talking here). You could also use Schuko sockets to eliminate having fuses in each cable being plugged in.

For many people, sources and low draw items can all be powered from a regenerator, leaving power amps or integrated amp to be plugged directly into the wall (don't bother plugging into a regen, it makes those items sound worse). This negates lots of the above being needed, a Power Inspired AG500 costs £275 and will power a Dac, CD Transport, Preamp and Phono Stage and be barely using much of its capacity and it's internal fan can be turned all the way down (completely inaudible). The affects of a Mains regen on the items I have listed can be heard immediately in many systems. (Oh, you're good for surge protection from spikes when running one of these and your gear gets a more pure and steady 230v)

I'm bernard.

Hi Jamie
    I have a True colours constrictor 5 way main block
    Which I’m not using £35 + P&P if you’re interested.

Regards
    Bernie

I'm jamie.

cheers,
    this may seem like a stupid question but if you know your stuff isn't being moved or unplugged alot whats wrong with using a junction box that eliminates plugs etc?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Neither would I
    I suppose you won't plug into the British mains system any of your electrical equipment, which is made in China...laptops, computers, mobile phones, television, kitchen appliances...I'm using a British Amplifier,.(allegedly)...It might have been designed in Britain...but it's built in Taiwan...a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated
    Last edited by mad-moon; 29-12-2017 at 12:21.
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    I suppose you wont plug into the British mains system any of your electrical equipment, which is made in China...laptops, computers, mobile phones, television,
    I don't think the problem is the parts and where they come from, more about the fact that UK items have to conform to electrical safety standards before it is to be sold to the public (even if people think some of these are nonsense). I would bet a lot of these cheap ''buy direct from China on ebay'' electrical items are not compliant with this and while they are most likely fine, it is still a gamble to use them (unless you have knowledge to check/test before using).

I remember not too long back there were concerns over some cheap Linear PSU from China not being correctly earthed, for example.

I'm Simon.

+1 for the Tacima mains conditioner, i think thats good value and have had one for a couple of years.

I'm paul.

Cone on guys, it's mains power you're talking about
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Neil.

Hi, try one of the many Olsen mains blocks available s/h or new on the web. There are some unswitched ones with no neon. They're heavy, and you can lift them up when holding a plug, super tight connections. Designed for industrial environments, and will drop the impedance compared with cheap blocks lacking tight connections.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    cheers,
    this may seem like a stupid question but if you know your stuff isn't being moved or unplugged alot whats wrong with using a junction box that eliminates plugs etc?
    In principle nothing, provided the feed to the junction box is not hard wired to the house mains supply, otherwise your household insurance could be deemed null and void by your insurers. You need a de-matable connection between the equipment and the mains supply: either a fused 13A style connector if you have a ring main system, or a round-pin 5A or 15A connector (suitably protected with an appropriate overcurrent device in the consumer unit) if you have a radial system.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast